+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help with Garrard 401 Power Supply

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    That's exactly the finished board I have here in front of me (for Andy, Rexton. STILL waiting for delivery of casework from China...). It should be not too difficult to obtain the obsolete XR2206 IC as they were made and used in large numbers for about 20 years. You will have to obtain it yourself though as there is no point in you paying me to trawl websites and ring suppliers when this is not a technical issue.... As I said in an earlier post it may be an idea to ask Andy where he got his from. I've heard that there can be the common problem these days of fake IC's so be careful...

The improved discrete version would be something I would use in an all Arkless Electronics speed controller which would be rather more than the Nigel's, mainly because I would not expect to sell more than 4-6 and so I need to recoup R&D costs from only a few sales... I would make it a bit better than the Nigel's in terms of waveform purity but I couldn't say if the sound would be any better, so for the budget concious, the Nigel's is certainly the way to go. This would be, as I mentioned in an earlier post, about £600 all in, exact price being variable according to what casework you choose etc (about £90 for empty case alone in this example... yes folks parts can be a small fortune when not buying 10,000 at a time!)

I guess many are waiting for a solution at say £200 but it costs more than that for just the parts when making one off's! It is, like many such things, rather a catch 22... if they were being made 10.000 at a time the cost of the parts would go down by around 75%... but there is nowhere near the demand to justify making them as anything but one off's, to order....
    Jez,
    Is there any improvements that can be made to Nigel's controller to improve waveform purity or would this require you to work on your own design?

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by paul(555) View Post
    Nigel has a stock of tested NOS XR2206s available, in fact I've just bought a couple, find him in the traders section on Lenco Heaven. Only £4 plus postage.

Thanks Paul, I wasn't aware of that.
    I have ordered, 2 WAVEFORM GENERATOR 1MHz EXAR XR2206 from a French dealer "rimlok" hopefully these are correct and ok.
    Regards
    Mark

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseymark View Post
    Jez,
    Is there any improvements that can be made to Nigel's controller to improve waveform purity or would this require you to work on your own design?
    Yes I can do that but obviously at extra cost. Also only on 33rpm version (not strictly true but to do it on a version that can electronically select all the speeds would make it financially unattractive to all but the most keen as slightly different versions of the extra circuitry would need to be built for each speed and extra switching designed to accommodate it).
    You can obviously still select other speeds by the turntables own speed change mechanism so I wouldn't think a 33rpm only version was a problem (it's what Andy ordered).
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andrew.

Mark,

you might want to invest in a piece of kit to clean the mains or regenerate the old sine wave. I use a PS AUDIO P10 but they cost nearly £5k so that might be a bit excessive. There are plenty of bits of kit which can filter and clean the mains as well as regenerating the sone wave, just do some research on the net.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mark.

Yes I can do that but obviously at extra cost. Also only on 33rpm version (not strictly true but to do it on a version that can electronically select all the speeds would make it financially unattractive to all but the most keen as slightly different versions of the extra circuitry would need to be built for each speed and extra switching designed to accommodate it).
    You can obviously still select other speeds by the turntables own speed change mechanism so I wouldn't think a 33rpm only version was a problem (it's what Andy ordered).
    Jez, Can you advise how Andy decided on the case used or did you give a range of options?

I'm Jez.

Jez, Can you advise how Andy decided on the case used or did you give a range of options?
    I specified that it would need to be either ALL aluminium or plastic/aluminium with minimum required size and he choose it...
    Something plastic with aluminium panels will start at £20 ish but look pretty naff and at other extreme really nice all ally case can be well over £100.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Mark.

I specified that it would need to be either ALL aluminium or plastic/aluminium with minimum required size and he choose it...
    Something plastic with aluminium panels will start at £20 ish but look pretty naff and at other extreme really nice all ally case can be well over £100.
    Jez If I have read your replies correctly if I supply the board and IC you will build the controller for about £600 including a case to the value of about £80. Is there a standard configuration or would I have to send you details of what I would like built?

If the later is required is there anywhere that you could refer me to for ideas.

Will I need to also purchase the box as well

I'm Mark.

Jez If I have read your replies correctly if I supply the board and IC you will build the controller for about £600 including a case to the value of about £80. Is there a standard configuration or would I have to send you details of what I would like built?

If the later is required is there anywhere that you could refer me to for ideas.

I'm Jez.

Will I need to also purchase the box as well
    I'll PM you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234