+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with Garrard 401 Power Supply

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I can confirm that I can build up a Nigel's speed controller to order (you would need to obtain the PCB and IC from.. well I presume this Nigel geezer. Ask Andy(Rexton)).
    I do also have a design of my own "waiting in the wings" as it were but I'm rather reticent about ploughing anything into further R&D for something which I may (or may not) sell one of now and maybe one more in six months time so the Nigel's is the main option for now....
    Hi Jez,
    How much would it be for you to build a Nigel's speed controller if I already have the boards?
    Thanks Mark

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseymark View Post
    Hi Jez,
    How much would it be for you to build a Nigel's speed controller if I already have the boards?
    Thanks Mark
    If you have just the boards (I would prefer it if you could source the hard to get XR2206 IC as well. You could ask Rexton (Andy) where he got his maybe? I may have one if I look hard but not sure) and I supply everything else, we are talking £600 ish depending on chosen casework. That price is including a case at around £80...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm scott.

other way is to use a VFD variable speed drive / Inverter
    Garrard is 19watts to small be be classed as a fractional horsepower motor
    VFD used in industry for decades to control motors & they go up to 100,000+ HP
    micro drive 0.37kw ( 370watts ) are less than £100 & made by the million by the likes of ABB

Chip IC Drives could also be used

nb - if i doubt consult a professional electricity is dangerous

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories...ter_420_e.html

http://www.abb.com/productguide/prod...e8&db=seitp322

I'm Mark.

If you have just the boards (I would prefer it if you could source the hard to get XR2206 IC as well. You could ask Rexton (Andy) where he got his maybe? I may have one if I look hard but not sure) and I supply everything else, we are talking £600 ish depending on chosen casework. That price is including a case at around £80...
    Jez Thanks for you're reply, I have two of Nigel's boards but have not got the IC.

However I am not sure this the ideal controller for the Garrard. Ideally I would like a controller which can adjust voltage and frequency but this does not seem to be available at present.

I'm Jez.

Jez Thanks for you're reply, I have two of Nigel's boards but have not got the IC.

However I am not sure this the ideal controller for the Garrard. Ideally I would like a controller which can adjust voltage and frequency but this does not seem to be available at present.
    The Nigel's DOES adjust both frequency and voltage! I've had a look for the XR2206 but it seems I must have used it at some time...

There are plenty of alternatives to the XR2206, some of which are likely to be better than the XR2206... which makes it strange that this device was chosen... I wonder if it was designed several years ago when it was still readily available? Unfortunately none of these are compatible with the Nigel's PCB.

I can also offer a speed controller of my own design with slight improvements over the Nigel's but it would be a bit more expensive.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Having now doe a bit of googling it seems the alternatives to the XR2206 are all also obsolete.... No problem though as I can build an even better discrete sinewave generator....

I'm Mark.

Having now doe a bit of googling it seems the alternatives to the XR2206 are all also obsolete.... No problem though as I can build an even better discrete sinewave generator....
    Hi Jez,
    What did you have in mind and how much would it cost?

The boards I have are marked "Turntable motor speed controller" Version: 1.3 NS 05/13. I am not sure if this is the current board that Nigel supplies but I am not aware of any changes to the layout.

Thanks
    Mark

I'm Jez.

Hi Jez,
    What did you have in mind and how much would it cost?

The boards I have are marked "Turntable motor speed controller" Version: 1.3 NS 05/13. I am not sure if this is the current board that Nigel supplies but I am not aware of any changes to the layout.

Thanks
    Mark
    That's exactly the finished board I have here in front of me (for Andy, Rexton. STILL waiting for delivery of casework from China...). It should be not too difficult to obtain the obsolete XR2206 IC as they were made and used in large numbers for about 20 years. You will have to obtain it yourself though as there is no point in you paying me to trawl websites and ring suppliers when this is not a technical issue.... As I said in an earlier post it may be an idea to ask Andy where he got his from. I've heard that there can be the common problem these days of fake IC's so be careful...

The improved discrete version would be something I would use in an all Arkless Electronics speed controller which would be rather more than the Nigel's, mainly because I would not expect to sell more than 4-6 and so I need to recoup R&D costs from only a few sales... I would make it a bit better than the Nigel's in terms of waveform purity but I couldn't say if the sound would be any better, so for the budget concious, the Nigel's is certainly the way to go. This would be, as I mentioned in an earlier post, about £600 all in, exact price being variable according to what casework you choose etc (about £90 for empty case alone in this example... yes folks parts can be a small fortune when not buying 10,000 at a time!)

I guess many are waiting for a solution at say £200 but it costs more than that for just the parts when making one off's! It is, like many such things, rather a catch 22... if they were being made 10.000 at a time the cost of the parts would go down by around 75%... but there is nowhere near the demand to justify making them as anything but one off's, to order....

I'm Paul.

Nigel has a stock of tested NOS XR2206s available, in fact I've just bought a couple, find him in the traders section on Lenco Heaven. Only £4 plus postage.
    Paul

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by paul(555) View Post
    Nigel has a stock of tested NOS XR2206s available, in fact I've just bought a couple, find him in the traders section on Lenco Heaven. Only £4 plus postage.
    Sorted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast