+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca Gold MM Phono Cartridge

I'm Gary.

Default Decca Gold MM Phono Cartridge

I have for sale a Decca Gold in very good condition. That's the elliptical stylus model. It was overhauled (stylus realigned and cart recalibrated) by John Wright earlier this year. His written report (comes with the cartridge) states that stylus wear is "minimal" and since then I have put on maybe thirty hours - probably not even that. Always used in optimal conditions and handled with care. £425 including delivery in the UK.

Infinitely Baffled

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's even got the four pin mount too You'll miss it I reckon, as the (you've been)Hadcock and Garrard are perfect partners for it.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    It's even got the four pin mount too You'll miss it I reckon, as the (you've been)Hadcock and Garrard are perfect partners for it.
    I agree - you really could end up regretting selling it Gary. It's a wonderful cartridge, and as Dave says, you have it operating in an ideal environment.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

How would this be on a Mission 774 arm and does it do Rock ?

Thanks,

Mike.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I agree - you really could end up regretting selling it Gary. It's a wonderful cartridge, and as Dave says, you have it operating in an ideal environment.
    Maybe I am being a bit hasty. I will have a little think about it. In the meantime perhaps I ought to withdraw the cartridge from sale to avoid disappointing anyone.
    OK - sale terminated. Sorry to anyone who was interested. Regarding your question, MikeyB, it sounds good to me with rock, but to be fair I don't really play a wide variety of rock styes. Sounds good with Hendrix, but that's pretty much all I can remember trying it with. Lovely on jazz, though, and pretty much anything else I've used it for, so I don't see why it wouldn't do rock. Well worth you keeping your eyes open for one to sample some time. Cheers IB.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Dave, what's the deal with the four-pin mount? Don't they all have that?
    Gary.

I'm Geoff.

As for Deccas and Mission 774 arms. Assuming the 774 is the original first model and fluid damping is used, it's a great match. One I've employed many times and playing rock amongst other types of music.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Dave, what's the deal with the four-pin mount? Don't they all have that?
    Gary.
    No. Earlier mounts had three pins.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I changed mine over and was terrified to do it as the NAS 'Pod had to come off so the original block could be slid away (the original mounting block is sliced in half leaving just the terminal assembly). The pic I posted elsewhere was with the three pin connector, the spare return headshell wire tucked up and out of the way.

I don't think I ever used a Decca in a 774, but the damping can be adjusted and the arm is so low mass, I doubt you'd need much damping at all (I never dunked my paddles fully in the 774 trough and just had the tips stroking the fluid )
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mike.

All moot points now cos you buggers convinced him to keep it, you're all off my Xmas card list lol.

I'll need to find somewhere else to spend the wife's hard earned cash 😉

No worries at all about not selling it was only a tentative enquiry, I just fancied trying one 😀

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast