+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ortofon SPU #1

I'm Josie.

Default New Ortofon SPU #1

For those interested in SPU's. Here is a new one from Ortofon.

http://www.ortofon.com/spu-1-e-p-699-n-1579

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm scott.

My 1st SPU launched in may & under 500quid

I'm Josie.

Ah.. ok. I've just got an email from Ortofon today so I thought I'd post it up.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Peter.

Yes, I've been wondering about it/them.
    Seem to be a bit of a 'throwback', with 2 ohm coils and 0.18mV output (matching the vintage specs).
    May have fewer windings than the current GM/GE (6 ohm, 0.2mV) ... lighter moving parts, which might give a faster response?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Ortofon seem to be as confused with the market for their SPU cartridges, as Leica are with their cameras. I've lost count of the number of versions of the SPU Ortofon have introduced in the last five years or so, as I have with the different camera designs Leica have put out onto the market.

In the case of Leica, it is finding their way post the demise of film photography, but I'm not sure what is going on in the mind of Ortofon; they already have the widest range of cartridge designs of any cartridge manufacturer.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Yes, I've been wondering about it/them.
    Seem to be a bit of a 'throwback', with 2 ohm coils and 0.18mV output (matching the vintage specs).
    May have fewer windings than the current GM/GE (6 ohm, 0.2mV) ... lighter moving parts, which might give a faster response?
    Compliance very slightly higher, but still very much in the low compliance camp and tracking at 4g. I don't think this would give its best on a standard Techie for example you'd still need a bit more mass. Should be good on a Jelco though.

Agree with Barry this is all very confused, hard to see what the USP is over the very slightly (by £100 or so) more expensive GM and GME MkII unless they plan to withdraw these. No apparent logic for the changes in impedance or output.

I did ask Ortofon what the differences were last time I was on at them for something and they said 'entry level' .. but clear as mud what they actually mean by that.

Of course it may be something as simple as they've slightly reduced the cost the manufacturing process, enough to maintain their margins at a lower price, and they've calculated they'll sell a few more if they hit an under-£500 price point.

I'm Kai.

The new cheaper ones have bonded styli, I suppose that's the biggest difference or at least one of them.

I'm Peter.

Anyone using one, yet? At £300+ cheaper than the GM Mk2 equivalents, I'm rather curious if there's any significant difference in their performance.

montesquieu Guest

Cheapskates here (like me) are waiting for the first second hand ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shahrin.

Would anyone know or have an opinion about how different the new SPU s are from the early SL15 ?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast