+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BBC closes loophole for whiny freeloaders

I'm Martin.

They should move to a daily pay access system. Every morning they e-mail you their schedules for the next day and you decide whether to given them 50p for access to it.

I estimate that under that system I might spend £20 a year with them, tops.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    You really are a charmer Jez
    I may be a raving lefty but my political correctness is highly selective
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I may be a raving lefty but my political correctness is highly selective
    Mine isn't. I have none!

Flippin' bleeding heart loony lefties.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I heard the new penalties were raised to televised execution for stealing bbc services Gotta admit it would beat cum dancing
    I'd love to indulge...

montesquieu Guest

There really is nothing on TV any more. So I'm told anyway ... I haven't had a telly since 2004. (And previously lived without one for most of the late 80s and 90s - but when the kids are tiny you have to have something to shut them up). The only time I ever miss live TV is election night (and there's always the wireless). Though back in the 80s and 90s I did used to go round to a mate's house on a Monday night to watch Star Trek.

Of course there's now much on wireless either. They've killed The Archers turning it into an isshoos show (kiss of death any time a programme ends with the dreaded 'If you have been affected by ...' bollocks) ... it's supposed to be entertainment FFS not a public information propaganda broadcast, what is it 1943?.

In Our Time and Start the Week on R4, and The Early Music Show on R3 are still quite good but a whatever it is, a tenner a month? I don't think so.

I get a letter off them every 2 years or so that assumes I'm some kind of criminal. Well they can still go and sod thmselves.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In any case I am not involved in actually making television and in fact I don 't know anyone at the BBC who is. I imagine there might be a couple of chaps down in the basement who do that sort of thing but I really don't know.'
    Did you mention Jimmy Saville? If so, I think you got away with it.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nial.

I got fed up with coming down on Saturday morning and finding my two lads lapping up the short(ening) attention span, ad-laden, facile toss that is provided for the young, impressionable mind by our broadcasters. We came back from that years holiday to find the telly had stopped working (no fuse, how could it?) and it got pushed up to the top of our track and the council called to collect it.

We went telly-less for a few years then some friends had a film show on the side of their house with a ...projector. I didn't even know these existed, but I learned fast. We started watching stuff again, DVDs from friends, library and the car boot.*
    No ads.
    No short attention span toss, at least not unless I went out and purposfully got the DVD of Short Attention Span Toss vii ( The Phantom Menace)
    More lately, like Jez I imagine, a certain inter-national sharing culture has filled my heart and I find most of what I want to see is out there, and pretty nippily too. A lot that you wouldn't see with a TV and a licence, too. Mostly in quality above that of a DVD.
    You know I haven't had to sit through that incredibly ****ing annoying "You wouldn't steal a" bollocks at the start of a DVD for, oooh, years now.

Yes, there was a certain amount of consumer resistance to not having a telly at the time from the lads. More lately one offered the opinion, unsought, that he was really glad we'd done it. Both at UNI now, the missis and me are used to this now. Projector looks great (JVC HD1) sound is better than the cinema. We get to see stuff that's actually worth watching. The last BEEB program I thought was anywhere near what they should be doing was Wolf Hall.

* I even bought some.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234