+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New DVD/CD Player

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I told you they were good Bev. The sound is free of the 'digitalness' many CD players seem to suffer from.
    I know I should learn to listen to people like yourself more

However it was indeed you Geoff that put me onto these Precisions in the first place, so I did listen a 'bit'

If I had to do without the AN Dac then the Precision or the Arcam would be just fine to live with, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the Precision would be my first choice
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

As you say Geoff the Precision is definitely "free of the 'digitalness' many CD players seem to suffer from"

It is quite 'silky' sounding in a way but detailed at the same time..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Picked up an Arcam DVD/CD player which uses Wolfson WM8740 DACs for both DVD and CD playback

Really enjoying it as a stand alone cd player and the dvd bit is superb as well. I believe it was about £1k when new and even though it's pretty old it is like new and works fantastic... I have so many dvd/cd players now.... Let me count them up....

My oldest is a Marantz CD50 SE which I purchased new in the 80's
    Pioneer DV 717 x 2... one to use as a transport and one as a 'spare'
    Pioneer PD-S505 Precision
    My new Arcam

That's 5 now... they are breeding I think.... obviously my weak point
    I tend to think of myself as not a hoarder, but actually I've got 5 as well:

Meridian 500 CD transport in the downstairs system
    Exposure CDP in the upstairs system
    An LG DVD player working, but with missing remote
    Another DVD player (name escapes me) with remote but not working
    Spare Meridian CDP bought when I thought the 500 was broken, but it turned out to be a minor and easily sorted problem, which is boxed up but which I daren't sell in case the 500 or the Exposure CDP actually do stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I tend to think of myself as not a hoarder, but actually I've got 5 as well:

Meridian 500 CD transport in the downstairs system
    Exposure CDP in the upstairs system
    An LG DVD player working, but with missing remote
    Another DVD player (name escapes me) with remote but not working
    Spare Meridian CDP bought when I thought the 500 was broken, but it turned out to be a minor and easily sorted problem, which is boxed up but which I daren't sell in case the 500 or the Exposure CDP actually do stop working.
    I think it might be an illness Joe

I think I will keep the Arcam and put it to good use as just a DVD player as the picture quality is really good

Then I think I will sell the 'spare' Pioneer DV-717 which is great as a DVD player and very good as a cd transport as well, I've been using one as a transport for the AN Dac for ages

I've looked on eBay and it's crazy how little money the 717's go for
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12