+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in a DIY valve line stage?

I'm Jez.

Here it is

[IMG][/IMG]

Obviously this shows just the meat of the thing and does not show the power supply detail or selector switch, phono sockets etc but it shows how nice and simple it is... but elegantly I think Now't new or "no one's done this before", just, I hope, sound engineering of the K.I.S.S type.

The valve is a dual triode so there is just the one valve.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Get away......you're lovin' all the attention
    Oh luvvies, dahlings

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Specifications:

Gain 10dB (x3)
    Output Impedance 520R
    THD <0.01% @ 2V RMS out into typical 47K load. <0.1% into 10K load
    Frequency response <-1dB 5Hz-100KHz into 47K

Not half bad for a super simple one triode per channel pre amp I think you will agree

I should point out that this is not intended to be "ooh listen to that euphony and warm roses in me contact lenses valveyness" More "straight wire with gain but with a hint of valve, sounds more like SS but without any SS grain/grit/greyness". If folks want more of the former I will show a few things to drag the poor thing more in that direction later

I'm Duncan.

Last edited by tubehunter; 03-09-2016 at 18:47.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by tubehunter View Post
    Plenty of feedback

not much drive

how about a cathode follower

and a constant current

eg:
    Yours has roughly the same feedback, no constant current source, an input impedance of only 10K and actually has far less drive potential in practice than my suggestion It would work well though yes but I've no reason to believe it would be any better than my simpler offering and suspect that in practice it would be slightly less good.

1/ The main principle here is K.I.S.S. Yours is twice as complicated for a start and needs 2 valves.
    2/ I'm doing this on some sort of strange whim which I haven't really analysed myself .. maybe to put something back for the site in appreciation of Marco's assistance in erm certain things It is NOT intended to be a "lets all uber analyse the circuitry and then suggest our own alternatives and design a horse by committee that turns out more of a camel that's no longer suitable for the DIY beginner"

3/ As someone who does this for a living I'm not going to design something unique, a new topology, patentable and then put it in the public domain! It is good sound non ground breaking engineering and several high end amps have used a similar topology in the past

I'm Jez.

Here it is with power supply and both channels.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice and simple May be subject detail changes... but that's about it. Note that there is only one physical valve as it is a dual triode. U1 and U2 are actually left and right halves of the same valve. Same with vol control R6 and R12 if a dual gang control is used. They can of course be separate left and right vol controls or even a switched attenuator for even better results.
    Last edited by Arkless Electronics; 03-09-2016 at 21:41.

I'm Alan.

That's about as good as it is going to get for a KISS design line stage

You could omit C1 and C3 if you are paranoid about having electrolytics in circuit, and expect a nads less gain.

Good one Jez

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That's about as good as it is going to get for a KISS design line stage

You could omit C1 and C3 if you are paranoid about having electrolytics in circuit, and expect a nads less gain.

Good one Jez
    Thanks Alan I think it will sound really nice too. The original did and this has a few detail improvements.

I spent a bit of thought on exactly that re the cathode caps but decided to keep the output impedance low and drive as good as possible. Yes it would work fine and is an option though.
    A valve diode in line from the output from the SS rectifier would obviate the need for the two Zener diodes... a valve rectifier instead of the SS would do this just as well also. Both add to cost and complexity though...

I'm Jez.

Oh and it's ideal for those wishing to experiment with "boutique" components as so few are needed! Seven per channel are all that's "in the signal path"...

I'm Jez.

Some feedback from all the people who said "I'm interested " would be useful around this point in order to get to grips with how people would want a practical implementation to be, what help is needed to "make it so" and any other questions people have really

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast