+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Deer Hunter.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by luyingdai View Post
    The top and bottom of the Tv is blackened out. So I am watching the movie on half of my screen.

It is with great difficulty that I am watching it especially when is is one of my favourite.

I would prefer that i2.35:1 is enhanced for 16:9 to fit my screen.

So my enquiry still remain as to whether such an edition is available.

Regards
    Luyingdai
    Alas those are the only remakes of the dvd.. Funnily its not been given any treatment since they did the bluray tmk.2009 i think
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugh.

The top and bottom of the Tv is blackened out. So I am watching the movie on half of my screen.

It is with great difficulty that I am watching it especially when is is one of my favourite.

I would prefer that i2.35:1 is enhanced for 16:9 to fit my screen.

So my enquiry still remain as to whether such an edition is available.

Regards
    Luyingdai
    Anyone got a brick wall I can borrow for about five minutes?

I'm Ying.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Sorry luyingdai m8, but you seem to have got this arse over tit.

The Deer Hunter was filmed in Anamorphic 2.35:1 Panavision, which is the ratio it is meant to be viewed in. Nothing is missing from the top and bottom.

If you view it in 16:9 it is the sides of the picture which are cut off. This butchering, not 'enhancement'.
    Narabdela,

Nowhere did I mention that anything was missing if were to exercise care to read and not jump to conclusion.
    I just said the Top and Bottom black horizontal lines were shaved off the real estate and not referring to the original image.

"enhanced" is used in some DVD descriptive details as in The Godfather Part 1, 2 and 3 where it is mention "Widesrceen Version Enhanced for 16:9 T.Vs " It is more comfortable to watch as it fills the TV screen optimally by the producer/publisher .

There is no need to be combative and with your innuendo of a brick wall it smacks of intolerance which I do not believe is in accordance with the spirit of this forum.

If one cannot lend a helping hand, withdraw it instead of flailing it.

We are here to assist/advice one another to enjoy audio/video.

Live and let live.
    Last edited by luyingdai; 30-08-2016 at 12:52.

I'm Hugh.

Nowhere did I mention that anything was missing if were to exercise care to read and not jump to conclusion.
    I just said the Top and Bottom black horizontal lines were shaved off the real estate and not referring to the original image.
    My apologies...however

This edition is what I now have which is widescreen 2.35:1 and the Top and Bottom are cut off.

I'm Martin.

Must admit Ying, I also thought you were saying that you were losing chunks of the actual picture rather than just screen real estate.

Your solution is to get a larger screen since I doubt that The Deerhunter is the only good film unavailable in 16:9 - It isn't possible to have too large a screen

Great film btw and one of my all-time favourites.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ying.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    My apologies...however
    The common movies are filmed in widescreen 2.35:1.

Most viewers who watch Dvds would have known that such movies often appear on TV screens with black bands on top and bottom of their screens taking 1/3 of the screens particularly on 16:9 screens.

Their experience would be sufficient to have provided them with the knowledge that " the Top and Bottom are cut off" cannot be referring to the images being shaved-off top and bottom in the manner that a star's hair or feet are cut-off. It can only refer to the horizontal black bars occupying the real estate giving the impression of a "cut-off Top and Bottom"

On whatever TV screen it is shown , the 2.35:1 ratio would be displayed in that format.

Words should not be taken literally but in the context of one's experience.

Some who are genuine would be honest with their conclusion while others would take pleasure in twisting for personal satisfaction.

I rest my case !

I'm Grant.

No need to rub it in... Hesaid sorry and that should be good enough
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

And it is the case that some films shown on televisison do have parts of the actual picture cut out due to re-sizing to fit the screen. Unlikely to be part of an actor missing,since they are generally framed centre shot, but sides, top and bottom can go missing this way.

It may not really matter, but it isn't watching the film as the director intended.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ying.

Advice respected.

Lets move on.

I'm Chris.

Love this through a fine Hi fi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12