+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For one week only - the Quad 303(K)

I'm Alex.

I just have a cable that I made up, 4 pin din plug to phono, so easy to connect up. This older 303 has the mains Bulgin input. Made up a mains lead with Bulgin at one end, in line switch, and an IEC at the other end.

The 405-2 that I have, I bought new as a 405 about 1976, never got on with it, converted to 405-2, much better, then much later fitted Burr Brown op amps, not much difference.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

I heard the newly released 405 compared to the 303 back then driving ESLs and thought the 405 clearer and having more grip. This was for maybe an hour or so at London Sound, when Mike Solomons had his shop in Eastcote for a while.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Perhaps Mike's 303 was not set up recently, makes a lot of difference. My first 303 was purchased second hand, not that old, in good condition, sounded rough. Sat on the shelf a while as I did not like it. Decided to follow the setup instructions, made a big difference.

Only been to Mike Solomons shop when it was at Harrow on the Hill. That must have been a long time ago. He used Sinclair speakers for some testing.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Perhaps Mike's 303 was not set up recently, makes a lot of difference. My first 303 was purchased second hand, not that old, in good condition, sounded rough. Sat on the shelf a while as I did not like it. Decided to follow the setup instructions, made a big difference.

Only been to Mike Solomons shop when it was at Harrow on the Hill. That must have been a long time ago. He used Sinclair speakers for some testing.
    The 303 and 405 were new 'demo' items. The Eastcote shop was before Mike later moved to Harrow on The Hill (Just around the corner from me at the time). London Sound eventually relocated to Rayners Lane, where it still is as far as I know. It took a VTL pre-amp to him about ten years ago for a service and was not best pleased with his (overpriced) work. I should have done it myself.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

A friend had similar problem with servicing, I had to remake some joints and cables. It was a Rogers valve pre and power amp combination.
    Spendorman

I'm Martyn.

Perhaps I'm 'Old Fashioned', but my Quad 34/303 sounds lovely with Harbeth P3-ESRs.
    The 303 was recently serviced by Amplabs ( excellent customer relations ) and the 34 worked on by Keith Snook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123