+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 40-43" TV?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Michael,

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronicals View Post
    OLED tvs are where the pixels themselves are producing the light, therefore no 'backlight' is needed as found in LED tv's. OLED isn't perfect yet, and one could argue a high end top of the range LED would be better than mid range OLED.
    Cheers, for that. I've doing a bit of research and gather what you've said is the case. The problem for me is size, and also like others, I'm a firm believer in not buying into brand-new technology, as a) it's usually too expensive, and b) can be riddled with 'bugs', until that gets sorted out, therefore it looks like OLED is out of the equation.

I also agree with your latter statement. Like everything else, choosing a TV involves settling on some form of compromise, so it looks like mine will be 'the best 40 inches I can get', as it were!

4K is not needed and virtually impossible to be utilising on the resolutions available on a 40" TV, which is unfortunate as 4K is breath taking, when I got my first 4K 55", and still a relatively budget Panasonic model I was blown away by the 4K picture - but then again none-HD resolution suffers, but if you have Sky you should be ok.
    Another useful point, ta.

Bare in mind though, the more you spend the bezels get slimmer, so you could actually end up with a bigger screen but the same size footprint...
    True, but I'm measuring the space I have purely for screen size, not cabinet size, although these days that amounts to next to nothing, so in that respect, 43", plus whatever on top for the 'housing' is all that's going to go on there.

We were also looking at some B&O stuff, but the prices are rather 'interesting', and also the available screen sizes seem to be too big. But if anyone can point me in the direction of a 40-43" B&O LED TV, then please do

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Kevin,

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The extended guarantee is a cost extra at Currys.
    Another shop worth visiting is Richer Sounds. They also do a good warranty bundled with the TV.
    Ah I see, so do John Lewis automatically offer a 5-year one? I just need to find out if Panasonic offer their own 5-year guarantee on TVs, and if so, that could swing the deal. Agree about Richer Sounds. I'd already thought about that, and there is one local to us. We've always had good service there

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Your never going to hide a 40 inch screen so why not just bite the bullet and go for a 50? You won't appreciate the benefit at first as you bask in the 40 inch job but once you become acclimatised you will start to regret not going bigger. The latest models have practically no surround or housing at all, hung on the wall they are just like a mirror when not in use. You'll need to think about sound as well as the built in sound is diabolical.

You'll really notice the benefit of going bigger when watching films, or the footie. I seriously advise you not to compromise on size.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-v...esign/p2579837

Decent price and 5 year guarentee
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Your never going to hide a 40 inch screen so why not just bite the bullet and go for a 50?
    Because it won't FIT THE SPACE AVAILABLE, daftee!

The TV must be wall-mounted, in order to free-up some much needed floor space. Yes, a 40-inch screen won't exactly be hidden, but it won't be 'on show' or as obvious looking as a 50-incher would, that is if there was room to house such a thing in the first place...

Also, more importantly, watching TV will always take second place in our house to listening to music, so the TV doesn't need to be the 'be all and end all'.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Cheers, mate. One wonders then how Currys sell any TVs, when they charge extra for a 5-year guarantee, and John Lewis include one automatically... I mean, in my position, as a potential customer for said Panasonic TV, what could possibly tempt me to buy it from Currys?

And what about Richer Sounds, in terms of the package they're offering for the same TV.....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Lewis will usually price match too if you find it cheaper in a shop like currys. Currys tbh are con artists, especially with their pcs.. Always got a trick up their sleeve. Lewis,s are probably the best for this, but dont know why they dont get the business the currys do. Richer are not bad as well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Just been in Sainsbury's and noticed they have a 40'' Panasonic Viera for £330. You could buy two!

Also noticed there seems to be branch of Argos in there now. Not sure what that is all about.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just been in Sainsbury's and noticed they have a 40'' Panasonic Viera for £330. You could buy two!

Also noticed there seems to be branch of Argos in there now. Not sure what that is all about.
    Lol - it'll be a 'lesser model'. Needs to be the same one as we've been discussing. Also, the free 5-year guarantee is a big selling point.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

I have a mate at work who is a technology addict and has researched TV,s to death. He has Sky Q and decided last week to get a Sony TV capable of 4K picture quality. This is what I would go for as 4K picture quality is stunning and I believe Sky will be putting out stuff at this resolution.

If you have a computer that does 4K just look at stuff recorded in this format and you will be convinced. Ok mainstream broadcast maybe someway away but if you have a smart TV and Sky you will be able to start watching stuff.

For me Sony have the most natural picture quality. The other manufacturers although good are sometimes a bit over the top and too much.

So a 42 inch Sony smart 4K capable TV might do the trick.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/te.../xd8305-series Here you go Marco
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast