+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 40-43" TV?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, that's definitely true, although with certain types of electronics high weight can reflect the use of a substantial PSU, which is usually associated with equipment capable of top-notch performance

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Noted on "bezel". That seems like a relatively new term, which has come out since flat-screen TVs have been introduced. Anyway, yes, for me any colour there is fine, as long as it's black!

I think the TV's sound on its own is very good, but not really conducive to creating a believable 'cinematic experience'. That's why I'm looking forward to hooking it up to the Sony AV amp and putting it through the Celestions, which will be happening when the engineer calls tomorrow (after an initial delay due to illness) to fix the TV onto the wall, via the use of a tilt & swivel bracket.

When he's there, I'll be ensuring that I'm getting the maximum from all the TVs facilities, including the best possible picture and sound quality - together with the best possible results from the AV amp, in terms of creating a believable 'snapshot' of the home-cinema experience.

In order to help facilitate that, I purchased a few 'toys' today from my local hi-fi shop in Wrexham, called Acton Gate Audio, namely a Supra Lo-Rad 6-way distribution block (which they were selling off at a reduced price): http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/produc...ProductID=3207 as the mains sockets in the lounge aren't currently connected to my dedicated mains spur, so I want to improve matters there a little, as experience tells me that how a system receives power from the mains supply makes a huge difference to how it performs - even in an AV system

I also bought a 2m Supra Lo-Rad 2.5 mains lead to go with it, acting as the flex, (terminated with Supra's own official IEC and 13A plug), which again was reduced. Plus I know the guys there well, and they always give me a good deal. I also bought a 'fancy' figure-8 mains lead, from Audioquest, for the Blu-ray player and Sky HD box, see here: http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/produc...ProductID=3054

And finally some super-thin (but good) Chord Sarsen speaker cable, to hook up the Celestions: http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/produc...ProductID=3346

It's super-thin nature and neutral-coloured outer sleeve was important, as in this set-up I want these cables hidden as much as possible. Should be fun when everything's all set-up. I'll report the results here and take a few pics

Marco.
    You really are going to town arent you! Sounds like it will be a great setup especially with the mains treatments. A lot of people diss speaker and mains cables, claiming they make no difference, but they do. Its not a sweeping difference, but finer elements are 'dialed in' - althougt never played around with them much in terms of AV stuff other than power cables.

I think the whole cinematic sound should never be expected from a TV - its not a cinema, its just a telebox, I always feel as long as the sound is clear, with a good frequency range and depth then that is all that is needed/expected - as you are doing, want bigger, go bigger with the amp and speakers. I love running s film through my Hifi, the Peachtree Dac is amazing, but the speakers are a very warm variant, so it takes the edge off those atypical cinema shrieking high trebles.

One downside I have found is the power cable on mine is integrated, so I cant use my Black Rhodium one which showed a marked improvement on clarity when used with the Panasonic. Not the end of the world as the picture really is that good!

The silver bezel is still bugging me majorly though, Im not sure I can live with it full time, its like having a 65" picture frame when its turned off.

I'm Grant.

Stick some black tape over it. Sure you can find something nice.

Sound wise, i used to have a av system and although it was very good, i found it took me away a bit from the pictures, so disposed of it. Quite like the sound from a telly now; it just feels right
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronicals View Post
    The silver bezel is still bugging me majorly though, Im not sure I can live with it full time, its like having a 65" picture frame when its turned off.
    You could try that black vinyl used on cars... It's easily manageable and could be fitted to the bezel without much work. Available on eBay pretty cheap too, although Grant's idea is easier

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    You could try that black vinyl used on cars... It's easily manageable and could be fitted to the bezel without much work. Available on eBay pretty cheap too, although Grant's idea is easier
    Yes ive used Vinyl wrap before on my cars and I was toying with the idea, but running a scalpel blade that close to the lcd panel scares the life out of me, but it is possible, I do have a friend who is a surgeon, they might be better with that blade. Its an idea.

Tape is a definitely no no, I like a bit of style , rag and bone man is not my thing

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronicals View Post
    , I do have a friend who is a surgeon, they might be better with that blade.
    I'd hope so....

You've got me looking at tellys on Amazon now. Did you know you can get an 85 incher? I remember renting a 28 inch Hitachi in about 1992 and thinking I'd arrived. How times change. when I cancelled the rental in about 1999 I asked them if they wanted to sell it to me. 'Yes we can do that, it will be £450' - yeah, in your dreams mate.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

my 37" LCD Toshiba Regza circa 2007 still does a grand job. It does 1080p and you can now pick them up for £50 - £80. Cost me £850 back then... lol

What a fool I was. Never doing that again I can tell ya.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 07-09-2016 at 16:18.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

Optimum size used to be 37" where you got best of everything... I would think that has increased now though what with hd. But sd stuff can look poor on big screens so personally i would stick at about the size Marco got.. 43" is big enough for anyone imo. Wish i had one

Honestly the 32 ive got from where i sit, about 10 ft is big enough. I used to have a 37 and it was big. I kinda like a big bezel too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Yeah... ours has a thick bezel, about 1 1/2" all round. It's nice as it frames it.

The big jobbie TV's I've seen in Curry's have always impressed me but knowing that they depreciate soooooo much I just can't justify the price tag.

Same with a lot of consumer electronics I guess.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

lol 43" is big enough, considering 4K resolution is not able to be seen properly on a 43", its definitely not big enough! Although my dad complained about getting a 47" then realised how much better it was, now he is on the convincing trail for a 55".

I think 55" is the limit as to when they stop being tv's and room additions, once you step over that boundary you end up with whole entities in the room with you.

I am having second thoughts this 65" , its giving me a headache, its that big. I mean, faces are bigger than real people and you have to look in two places instead of seeing the whole image. I always thought I say on the back row at the cinema as to hopefully see some action , but no it was because sitting too close gave me headaches.

Oops.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast