+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balanced power supplies

I'm James.

I had a Power Inspired AG1500 and found it quite effective. I wouldn't say I had noisy mains at all, other than the crap on the mains that we all battle with. In the end I ran the AG 1500 and a 3kVa together which increased the performance further, this was all before I build what I have now.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Josie.

Hmm. Thanks guys.

Can someone tell me the advantages of going 'over sized' in regards of 'VA' or is that just a 'man' thang?

My amp has a 630mA fuse and my Pre has a 6.3A fuse. So that is what the very maximum draw would be I take it. Other things that are on the same plug socket are Turntable, CD player, RPI, 2x hard drives. All of which together can't be very much.

So, (hope I've got this right) this means my pre and power amp (most power hungry of my kit) would be 630A *250v = 160w *2 = 320w

Given that a 1000VA unit is good for 600w surely this is enough? And adding the rest of the kit wouldn't even break a sweat.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hmm. Thanks guys.

Can someone tell me the advantages of going 'over sized' in regards of 'VA' or is that just a 'man' thang?

My amp has a 630mA fuse and my Pre has a 6.3A fuse. So that is what the very maximum draw would be I take it. Other things that are on the same plug socket are Turntable, CD player, RPI, 2x hard drives. All of which together can't be very much.

So, (hope I've got this right) this means my pre and power amp (most power hungry of my kit) would be 630A *250v = 160w *2 = 320w

Given that a 1000VA unit is good for 600w surely this is enough? And adding the rest of the kit wouldn't even break a sweat.
    Hi Jo

6.3amp v 240V = 1500W give or take so you best look at 2KVA minimum, not that your amp will be drawing that kind of power, suspect it's just to allow for transformer inrush.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I tried one and although it did change the sound I didn't consider it an improvement and preferred the sound without it. Some of the best systems I have heard were just plugged into a standard wall socket and run off nasty standard mains. Some of the worst have used several grand's worth of mains regeneration. If there is some common factor going on then it eludes me.
    I use the above macca returned NVA BMU and it made an improvement here, to the point that when I removed it, I missed it so much it went back within a couple of days, where it remains. I believe your stereo has changed a fair bit since then Macca, so maybe consider trying one again, wherever it comes from?

Martint on TAS has or had a very bad mains and his main choice was an expensive full high power regenerator I understand, which all but cured the problem at source, but he did comment favourably on the BMU at the time when used with it I think from memory.

It's been said (and forgotten/ignored) many times that the transformer VA rating does NOT have to be the addition of all the VA ratings of the gear connected to it. It would appear that for most domestic situations, where amps and so on are not being thrashed to maximum dissipation continuously, a 500VA is perfectly and more than adequate.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

lol... Thanks, Jon, Dave... confused I will be.

so... 2000VA or 500VA...

I've just learned that the larger VA the lower the impedance will be. But does that negate somewhat when using an EI core opposed to a Toroid?

Sorry for the daftee questions, just on a learning curve here.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I use the above macca returned NVA BMU and it made an improvement here, to the point that when I removed it, I missed it so much it went back within a couple of days, where it remains. I believe your stereo has changed a fair bit since then Macca, so maybe consider trying one again, wherever it comes from?

Dave, no, my system is still identical to how was with the BMU in. I've swapped a few speakers in and out but still with the Akais as 1st choice. I think that based on what others have said the main reason it did nothing for me was that I don't have a mains issue in the first place. On the negative side when swapping it back out I felt then that it had been slightly constricting dynamics and as I usually play at quite high SPL, in a large room sat a long way from the speakers this mattered to me; likely it would not even be noticeable to those using only moderate volume closer in field, and perhaps with a gentler taste in music.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

lol... Thanks, Jon, Dave... confused I will be.

so... 2000VA or 500VA...

I've just learned that the larger VA the lower the impedance will be. But does that negate somewhat when using an EI core opposed to a Toroid?

Sorry for the daftee questions, just on a learning curve here.
    No don't think so, will be the same.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mark.

You ideally need to measure each device with something like this to give a guide as to the power consumption, they aren't really accurate but a good guide:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-E...or+power+meter

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    You ideally need to measure each device with something like this to give a guide as to the power consumption, they aren't really accurate but a good guide:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-E...or+power+meter
    Hi Mark.

I have just done an experiment with my house energy meter. Isolating everything (starting with 0.01kW) and with just the hifi on in the house, all my audio kit runs at 0.36kW

Is that any help?

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Mark.

That's hardly anything really, 360 watts for everything on your hi-fi

So a 1000VA transformer will be plenty or two or more smaller transformers to keep noisy devices on their own supply rather than joining everything together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast