+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shocked

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The average enthusiast does. By a fair margin I suspect.

Ah, but I didn't say enthusiast. Many people play records.

(I admit I spent a little more than £50 myself )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The average enthusiast does. By a fair margin I suspect.
    Yes, Koetsus and other high-end cartridges can cost up to £5,000. So at the quoted "about £5 a record", or £7.50 an hour, that implies a stylus life time of about 660 hours. Not much different to the typical 1,000 hours lifetime expected of a stylus.

But is the stylus lifetime really doubled if records are cleaned using an RCM?
    Last edited by Barry; 26-08-2016 at 17:39. Reason: punctuation
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

1000 hours seems a little short Barry. ZYX quote 2000 hours, which I'd have thought probably typical of modern MCs and I'd expect many to exceed this. I'm sure some of my cartridges have.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, Koetsus and other high-end cartridges can cost up to £5,000. So at the quoted "about £5 a record", or £7.50 an hour. that implies a stylus life time of about 660 hours. Not much different to the typical 1,000 hours lifetime expected of a stylus.

I'd say it is significantly increased. Sufficiently so that the RCM will pay for itself quite quickly if using £100 plus styli and putting in a lot of vinyl hours a week. But hard to quantify the variables. Someone who has bought all their records new and been very careful might get the same lifetime as someone who buys a lot of used records and cleans them properly.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Depends on the stylus profile. Quality control personnel, checking the quality of LPs using headphones, could discern stylus wear after only 200 hours.

I think 1,000 hours is typical - I wouldn't expect much more than 2,000.
    Last edited by Barry; 26-08-2016 at 19:52. Reason: punctuation
    Barry

I'm scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, Koetsus and other high-end cartridges can cost up to £5,000. So at the quoted "about £5 a record", or £7.50 an hour, that implies a stylus life time of about 660 hours. Not much different to the typical 1,000 hours lifetime expected of a stylus.

2000 hours for a £10k ( $15K ) = £5 per hour cartridge like Clearaudio Goldfinger or Koetsu Stone body
    1000 hours then stylus starts to go " off " with a lifespan of about 2000 hours when speaking to cartridge designers
    high end cartridges do have much longer lifespans

Even a mid price cartridge £150-£500 a RCM will pay for itself on stylus replacement or re-builds
    not to mention sounding better & reduced record wear & gets rid of the static , pops & clicks

I'm Geoff.

Anybody experimented with 'wet playing'?

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Anybody experimented with 'wet playing'?
    I think some enthusiasts who have been plagued with static problems have reported success, but it's not something I would undertake lightly.
    Barry

I'd say it is significantly increased. Sufficiently so that the RCM will pay for itself quite quickly if using £100 plus styli and putting in a lot of vinyl hours a week. But hard to quantify the variables. Someone who has bought all their records new and been very careful might get the same lifetime as someone who buys a lot of used records and cleans them properly.
    That's my experience. Whilst I agree that an RCM is an essential piece of kit (especially for someone whith more than say 200 LPs), I don't believe that cleaning a record once with an RCM will double the stylus lifetime. It is just as important in my opinion, possibly more so, to inspect and clean the stylus regularly.
    Barry

I'm Barry.

Sounds like I am lucky mine is still working after nearly 30 years

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast