+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which step next??

I'm Packgrog.

On my previous Technics, I had the fluid damper and a DL-110. It was a nice combo. I was actually able to dial back the VTF a bit with the damper installed, which had a nice effect, but you really do need to be careful of how much fluid you add to the trough (1/3 seemed about right, more caused too much damping), and be careful not to over-tighten the paddle to the arm. I imagine the fluid damper would work well on most (though not all) Technics clone arms, so long as they have the little side extension for the cueing level where the paddle gets attached (the Audio Technica AT-LP120 arm does NOT have this, and thus is not compatible). I'm curious how other people with straight arm mods have enjoyed the fluid damper.

The DL-110 is still a good buy for the money if you know where to look. $175 is a good target price right now. FWIW, cable capacitance shouldn't matter with the DL-110, being HOMC, but it absolutely would matter if you stick with MM.
    Analog: VPI Scout Jr. | Phoenix Engineering Falcon PSU | DIY tach | Funk Firm Achromat | Michell Clamp | AT33PTG/II | Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena | T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 | Sonix IV ST136H Ultrasonic Cleaner | Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machine

Digital: iBasso D14

Headphones: Lawton-modded Denon AH-D2000

I'm Nathan.

Despite the sex appeal of a nice new MC cart, I think I'll go with some Isonoe feet as I believe they'll do a better job of supporting the deck than the halved Racquet balls. After that I'll go for the DL-110.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Packgrog.

FWIW, Steve at Herbie's Audio did recommend the Big Tall Tenderfeet as being better than the Isonoes, though I'd already bought the Isonoes by that point, and the Tenderfeet aren't really adjustable without shimming. Can't actually speak to which is better for sound. The Isonoes are a lot cheaper right now direct from the UK post-Brexit, which is why I started tinkering with the Technics again. Racket balls and sorbothane domes sound like crap.

Still haven't found time to make an grungebuster armboard gasket to see if that improves the etchy highs and flat soundstage that I experienced on my first try with the Origin Live armboard, though. Hopefully soon. :/
    Analog: VPI Scout Jr. | Phoenix Engineering Falcon PSU | DIY tach | Funk Firm Achromat | Michell Clamp | AT33PTG/II | Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena | T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 | Sonix IV ST136H Ultrasonic Cleaner | Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machine

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Packgrog View Post
    FWIW, Steve at Herbie's Audio did recommend the Big Tall Tenderfeet as being better than the Isonoes, though I'd already bought the Isonoes by that point, and the Tenderfeet aren't really adjustable without shimming. Can't actually speak to which is better for sound. The Isonoes are a lot cheaper right now direct from the UK post-Brexit, which is why I started tinkering with the Technics again. Racket balls and sorbothane domes sound like crap.

Still haven't found time to make an grungebuster armboard gasket to see if that improves the etchy highs and flat soundstage that I experienced on my first try with the Origin Live armboard, though. Hopefully soon. :/
    Isonoes cheaper you say? Hmm.
    Last edited by RickeyM; 04-10-2016 at 23:24.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Packgrog.

I don't remember if there are rules against external links, but I got my Isonoes from Analogue Seduction. You pay shipping, but you don't pay VAT. Substantially less than current US list prices at the moment, but still over $100 ($118.86 + shipping as of this posting). Big Tall Tenderfeet would be $65.96 + shipping from Herbie's Audio. The Isonoes are definitely prettier, but at half the price, maybe the Tenderfeet are the better buy. Which would actually do a better job for sound quality I don't know. If some kind soul wanted to send some BT Tenderfeet to me to demo, I'd gladly provide recordings using each set of feet to help show the actual differences. :P

I'm gerald.

The kab fluid dampner stopped me changing arms and fitting Isonoes made a improvment also what effect did the dynomat have been thinks of doing it ?

I'm Packgrog.

If sticking with the stock arm, the fluid damper is essential. Probably a rewire as well, though I never tried that.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    The kab fluid dampner stopped me changing arms and fitting Isonoes made a improvement. Also what effect did the Dynamat have, been thinks of doing it ?
    The Dynamat mod has the effect of unmasking a lot of detail in the music. All the notes and sounds sound more realistic because I now hear more of the harmonics of instruments and voices. Sort of like installing a better cartridge. A few days ago I took my platter damping even further. There is a channel at the outer edge of the underside of the platter. I filled this channel with siliconized acrylic caulk. The result? Applying the Dynamat reduced the platter "ring" by a huge amount. Adding the caulk took the effect to an even higher level. Personally, I think this is one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods you can do on the Techie. Less than $30 in parts, you can't beat it.

Now about the fluid damper. You say it stopped you from changing arms? Hmm, adding a damper to the straight arm mod idea I got from Qwin might just make things world class

danilo Guest

was the Kool Aid at least tasty?

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    was the Kool Aid at least tasty?
    Thread crap much?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast