+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which step next??

I'm Ian.

Rickey I made my own fluid damper same principle as the KAB.
    In my case it worked very well on the std techie arm.
    I have my prototype here if you fancy some DIY/ play with it (and some thick silicon fluid) before making a major spend.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Nathan.

Indeed, I'd fancy a look at that
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    A few days ago I took my platter damping even further. There is a channel at the outer edge of the underside of the platter. I filled this channel with siliconized acrylic caulk. The result? Applying the Dynamat reduced the platter "ring" by a huge amount. Adding the caulk took the effect to an even higher level.
    In case anyone wanted to experiment with this, here is a pic of what it looks like. The caulk is the stuff that comes in a squeeze tube used to seal around sinks & tubs. I used the edge of a credit card to remove the excess and smooth it out some. Yes, it could be neater but it's hidden in use so I don't worry about it.

We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Jim.

I like it!

SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    In case anyone wanted to experiment with this, here is a pic of what it looks like. The caulk is the stuff that comes in a squeeze tube used to seal around sinks & tubs. I used the edge of a credit card to remove the excess and smooth it out some. Yes, it could be neater but it's hidden in use so I don't worry about it.
    And... somehow? That load of goop.. doesn't ruin the platter's balance ?

I'm Jim.

I think there's an equally sized load of goop on the other side, to make it all work out.

That said, the -1200 never had a balanced platter, that was reserved for the SP's. Also, the Techincs rubber damper was just glued in at the factory; only manufacturing tolerances kept it centered, and remember we're talking about glue and rubber.

I've had some at-length conversations with people who have filled their platters with lead and glued (epoxy) it in, and a guy who has just filled the inside with a never-gets-completly-hard epoxy, and in all cases they have not reported any issues with balance. It's just not an issue if you take rudimentary precautions to keep it from getting grossly off-balance.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Nathan.

Cool The "Goop Mod"

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    And... somehow? That load of goop.. doesn't ruin the platter's balance ?
    Don't forget that the goop is applied to the entire channel around the underside of the platter

The stock Techie platter makes a right nice gong. Just hold it by one of the finger holes and strike the rim with a wooden spoon or some such and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

Maybe someone will do the "Goop Mod" to a stock platter and report back?

Ever grab a ringing bell or gong by the rim and see how fast the sound stops? That's the principal at work here. Applying a layer of Dynamat Extreme and a bit of goop (tub & tile caulk) absolutely leaves the pitiful damping of the stock undermat in the dust. Does this work as well as a good aftermarket platter? I doubt it, but I spent less than the cost of a good mat for a very good improvement

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123