+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which step next??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Nathan.

Question Which step next??

Hi all. I have a SL-1200MK2 with a few mods (listed below) and it sounds quite nice. Even with a humble AT-120e cart, I've been amazed at how good a nice clean record sounds. Thanks to Qwin and Andrei for their pioneering on the tonearm and platter mods and 6L6 for the PS mod.

Given what's been done already, I've come to the experts to ask for recommendations on what upgrade to add next. Up for consideration are a better outboard PS, a tonearm damper or a set of Isonoe's. Of course, any other recommendations will be considered as well.

Stock tonearm modded with the addition of a straight carbon fiber/aluminum tube. Wired with Litz wire and lightly stuffed with cotton.
    Stock platter modded with a layer of Dynamat Extreme to the bottom side in place of the stock Technics rubber.
    DIY external PS with the stock transformer.
    Halved Racquetballs replacing the stock Techie feet.
    IANMAC bearing.
    Res-O-Mat

At some point in the near future I hope to add a Denon DL-110 to see how I like the MC sound.
    TIA for any help rendered
    Last edited by RickeyM; 25-08-2016 at 05:32. Reason: add pics
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Kevin.

I think the bjggest gains will be had by changing the tonearm and/or cartridge.
    The basics of the deck seem OK and changing the feet may give you s slight improvement.
    After that you can look at an aftermarket platter.

I can't comment on the tonearm damper, as I have never tried one.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Nathan.

It seems that those who've added the tonearm damper are quite taken with it. Also the Denon DL-110 seems quite popular.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    It seems that those who've added the tonearm damper are quite taken with it. Also the Denon DL-110 seems quite popular.
    I love my DL-110 on the Techie.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    I love my DL-110 on the Techie.
    Does your wife know ?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Does your wife know ?
    We have an understanding ;-)
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    Having used a Denon DL-110 in a Mission 774 arm, I can say it definitely seems to behave better with fluid damping applied. The discontinued DL-160 is a nicer sounding MC high output though. Worth looking out for a good second hand example.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jim.

The external PSU is the single biggest improvement you can make to the table. I doubt that a 'better' external supply will be any better, as 95% of the mod is removing the vibrating transformer from the TT chassis.

I'd suggest Isonoe feet. Big improvements from anything else used.

Of course, changing cartridges will make huge differences in sound, they are as unique as speakers, being transducers. I used the DL-110 as my primary cartridge for a couple of years, it's quite nice and can unashamedly recommend it.

That said, I'd re-wire the tonearm cables with the lowest capacitance cables you can find. (And a exhaustive look will show that Bluejeans Cable LC-1 is an amazingly low 12pF/ft) Most cartridges (especially MM) get too loaded by capacitance, usually due to cabling, and can cause a rising in response of 8-10K on up. Low capacitance cables will allow you to load as necessary.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Andrew.

External PSU and then Isonoe feet.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Packgrog.

On my previous Technics, I had the fluid damper and a DL-110. It was a nice combo. I was actually able to dial back the VTF a bit with the damper installed, which had a nice effect, but you really do need to be careful of how much fluid you add to the trough (1/3 seemed about right, more caused too much damping), and be careful not to over-tighten the paddle to the arm. I imagine the fluid damper would work well on most (though not all) Technics clone arms, so long as they have the little side extension for the cueing level where the paddle gets attached (the Audio Technica AT-LP120 arm does NOT have this, and thus is not compatible). I'm curious how other people with straight arm mods have enjoyed the fluid damper.

The DL-110 is still a good buy for the money if you know where to look. $175 is a good target price right now. FWIW, cable capacitance shouldn't matter with the DL-110, being HOMC, but it absolutely would matter if you stick with MM.
    Analog: VPI Scout Jr. | Phoenix Engineering Falcon PSU | DIY tach | Funk Firm Achromat | Michell Clamp | AT33PTG/II | Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena | T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 | Sonix IV ST136H Ultrasonic Cleaner | Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machine

Digital: iBasso D14

Headphones: Lawton-modded Denon AH-D2000

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast