+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromecast vs SBT

I'm Paul.

Default Chromecast vs SBT

How can a £30 chromecast sound so good? I'm struggling to hear much if any difference between it and my SBT when both are through my DAC. Has anyone connected their DAC to a computer to sample the output to compare signals? I'd be interested if I'm actually hearing any difference or its in my head.

For info, SBT has the EDO plugin and is connected via co-ax. Chromecast is connected via toslink. DAC is a teac t1.
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    How can a £30 chromecast sound so good? I'm struggling to hear much if any difference between it and my SBT when both are through my DAC. Has anyone connected their DAC to a computer to sample the output to compare signals? I'd be interested if I'm actually hearing any difference or its in my head.

For info, SBT has the EDO plugin and is connected via co-ax. Chromecast is connected via toslink. DAC is a teac t1.
    Careful now..... I asked a similar question here and got pasted by the SBT and RPi faithful.

Fact is I couldn't tell any difference and have owned SBT and RPi but I must be deaf as my £15 Chromecast couldn't possibly be as good could it....
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    ...but I must be deaf as my £15 Chromecast couldn't possibly be as good could it....

Nah, don't worry. You just don't have 'Golden Ears'.

I'm Grant.

Got one and its good. Not tried it with a dac though. Must have a look for some bits to try it sometime. Ive got a dac somewhere lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

I suspect that, as with all digital audio devices, the sound quality of the Chromecast Audio will be improved by providing it with a clean power supply.

So I've got an RPi (running Moode) which plays through a Beresford SEG DAC. The RPi is powered via a Chinese Linear PSU and SBooster to provide it with a clean power supply, which, to my ears, has improved its sound significantly.

My Chromecast Audio is also connected through the DAC, and I changed its power supply from the standard plug and connector that it comes with, and instead am powering it from a USB port on the RPi.

The Chromecast Audio certainly sounds impressive through my set-up, but I haven't yet done any direct comparisons of, say, Radio 3 HD via the RPi/Moode versus Tune-in Radio/Chromecast Audio.

So a question to the group - if the power supply to the RPi is clean, is it reasonable to assume that the power it onwardly supplies via one of its USB ports will also be clean, and cleaner than that supplied by the Chromecast wall-wart? I guess the only way to tell would be to put an oscilloscope on it, but I don't have one :-)
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Neil.

Very short signal paths are a *good* thing in digital, so am not surprised Chromecast sounds decent.

...I'd expect the Raspberry Pi to be noisier.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Bill.

I use a Chromecast with an IFI I-power plug top psu. The CC is connected to my headphone amp with a pair of Klotz MC5000 interconnects.

This sounds superb to my cloth ears. I was running it through a Rega DAC-R, but slightly preferred it without and sold it on.

I do think the 'shorter chain' is bringing about the benefits. Feed you CC with tidal, try without an external DAC and see what you think.

I'm Dave.

I am kicking myself that I didn't buy one of these when they were cheaper. I went to buy a Chromecast (TV version) in August to try to overcome an impending problem with BBC iPlayer (some boxes were scheduled to be shut off from iPlayer service - due to system changes, and to the older technology in some boxes not really being effectively upgradeable) and got the TV model for £25. It did provide a solution, though subsequently it has turned out that a Now TV box bought for £15 was even better.

I noticed that the Chromecast Audio, which I'd not heard of/seen before, was £20 in Currys/PC World, but I passed on that. Probably a mistake. Even at £30 it's probably a good thing to have/try. It might be a good Christmas present, either for myself (!!) or others.

Is it very software or app dependent? For example, currently I'm listening to Bach played from Qobuz on my MBP fed out by an optical cable to my DAC. With the TV version not every service is Chromecast aware, so is that also an issue for the audio version, or is it possible to get any (=all) audio which can be fed out of the optical socket on my MBP out via Chromecast Audio to work? It wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, but it would be better if this gadget was functionally equivalent to an optical cable, rather than selectively so. Presumably it will work with iPads too. A bonus for me would be that it would enable me to sit at the other end of the room, without having to connect by any form of cable.
    Dave

I'm Rich.

I have 3 of these, 2 are CC Audio and 1 is the 1st gen CC connected to the TV. The one on the TV is powered from a USB socket on the TV and audio comes via the TVs optical output to an Arcam DAC.

The CC Audio is connected to the DACs other optical input and powered from a USB socket on my amp.

The third one in the kitchen system is powered by the provided plug and connected via a minijack to rca cable to the little Yamaha amp in there.

I have no problems concerning the SQ of any but for some reason the 1st gen one on the TV sounds smoother than the rest and is probably the one I use most often. Primarily because you get some visuals from Spotify or Radio on the TV too.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I am kicking myself that I didn't buy one of these when they were cheaper. I went to buy a Chromecast (TV version) in August to try to overcome an impending problem with BBC iPlayer (some boxes were scheduled to be shut off from iPlayer service - due to system changes, and to the older technology in some boxes not really being effectively upgradeable) and got the TV model for £25. It did provide a solution, though subsequently it has turned out that a Now TV box bought for £15 was even better.

I noticed that the Chromecast Audio, which I'd not heard of/seen before, was £20 in Currys/PC World, but I passed on that. Probably a mistake. Even at £30 it's probably a good thing to have/try. It might be a good Christmas present, either for myself (!!) or others.

Is it very software or app dependent? For example, currently I'm listening to Bach played from Qobuz on my MBP fed out by an optical cable to my DAC. With the TV version not every service is Chromecast aware, so is that also an issue for the audio version, or is it possible to get any (=all) audio which can be fed out of the optical socket on my MBP out via Chromecast Audio to work? It wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, but it would be better if this gadget was functionally equivalent to an optical cable, rather than selectively so. Presumably it will work with iPads too. A bonus for me would be that it would enable me to sit at the other end of the room, without having to connect by any form of cable.
    It works on some apps on ipad, but is more usable on android at moment. Tunein radio works and there is a cast app for ios10.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast