+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does 70/80's Hi-Fi compare to modern sound wise

I'm Jez.

Personally... I would get shot of the whole front end before doing anything else. It just isn't up to the job IMO. Even if it was brand new!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Sorry, but I disagree, Pl-12D can sound fine. A good budget deck.
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree, Pl-12D can sound fine. A good budget deck.
    It's a 112D not the earlier 12D. Yes a decent entry level budget deck in its day but better gear upstream of it is going to show it up mercilessly. I couldn't live with that as a source when feeding good amplification and speakers of the standard of the SP1 I mentioned earlier..... I'd take mp3 over that any day!

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's a 112D not the earlier 12D. Yes a decent entry level budget deck in its day but better gear upstream of it is going to show it up mercilessly. I couldn't live with that as a source when feeding good amplification and speakers of the standard of the SP1 I mentioned earlier..... I'd take mp3 over that any day!
    As sorry, the LP at the beginning confused me! Yes the PL-112D was cheapened a bit, never owned one. I do have a PL12D and a PL512, which is in my view even better mainly due to a slightly lower rumble figure to the PL-12D. I also have Thorens TD124 II / Ortofon RS212, Techincs SL-110 / Ariston arm, and many others decks, yes, not in use these days, mainly because of digital stuff. The TD124 can do 78 RPM, must get round to playing some of my large collection of them. Something for the future.
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

As sorry, the LP at the beginning confused me! Yes the PL-112D was cheapened a bit, never owned one. I do have a PL12D and a PL512, which is in my view even better mainly due to a slightly lower rumble figure to the PL-12D. I also have Thorens TD124 II / Ortofon RS212, Techincs SL-110 / Ariston arm, and many others decks, yes, not in use these days, mainly because of digital stuff. The TD124 can do 78 RPM, must get round to playing some of my large collection of them. Something for the future.
    TD124 is very nice! Love the instant start....

Do you have BC2's in your Spendor collection? I have a pair myself and was just wondering how you rate them... we can compare notes

I'm Alex.

Do you have BC2's in your Spendor collection? I have a pair myself and was just wondering how you rate them... we can compare notes
    Yes, a pair of early BC2's, a single spare later BC2, and a pair of Prelude bass units, which I believe are the same as BC2 bass units. Not had the BC2's on for about 10 years! That's not to say that they are bad, bass is better than from BC1, but BC1 beats it on midrange. And to my ears, I prefer (slightly) the BBC Rogers LS3/6's, which are in use at present.
    Spendorman

I'm openingabottleofwine.

All decent turntables should have a clutch as well as a gear box.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What about Variomatic / CVT, or is that the Lenco drive!
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

Yes, a pair of early BC2's, a single spare later BC2, and a pair of Prelude bass units, which I believe are the same as BC2 bass units. Not had the BC2's on for about 10 years! That's not to say that they are bad, bass is better than from BC1, but BC1 beats it on midrange. And to my ears, I prefer (slightly) the BBC Rogers LS3/6's, which are in use at present.
    Yep that's about my view on them as well. I really rate the SP1 and two friends used them for years so I used to hear them regularly... I'll probably buy some one day if they don't go through the roof...

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And brakes!

The Lenco drive has similarities to CVT transmission.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast