+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dac advice

I'm gerald.

Default dac advice

I due to have two major spinal operations so I am going to be bed bound /settee bound for a few months I have ripped a load of music to my laptop and can control it using foobar 2000 on my phone so looking for a dac not mega expensive due my money situation any recomendations please? I will be going the second hand route to get one .

Gerry

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    I due to have two major spinal operations so I am going to be bed bound /settee bound for a few months I have ripped a load of music to my laptop and can control it using foobar 2000 on my phone so looking for a dac not mega expensive due my money situation any recomendations please? I will be going the second hand route to get one .

Gerry
    Hi Gerry , I hope all goes well with your operation and your recovery is both quick and complete . I use one of these and it's excellent https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-DA-30...=denon+dac+300 .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

It all depends on what you upper limit budget is and if you need headphone output as well or not. I might have a modded Caiman II loan unit back next week that you can try.

I'm James.

I would go with Stans route.
    There are a few of his dacs second hand in the Classifieds at the moment due to his new model launch. They are usually around £100
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Mark.

I am guessing that you will need a USB input to plug the laptop into unless the laptop has optical output?

I would see if you can find one of Stanley's DACs at a suitable price.

Hope the back operation goes OK! Good luck with that.

I'm tony.

Stans DACs are pound for pound hard to beat and offer great headphone amps. Handy if your sitting about for a bit.

Best of luck with the surgery. I had an L4/5 discectomy nearly three years ago so know how worried you will be. My thoughts are with you.

I'm gerald.

Been digging through my old kit found this dac I forgot I had it is a Cambridge audio Dacmagic 1

Can I use get a usb to phono lead to connect computer to dac to amp ?

I'm Christian.

Think you'd need a usb to spdif converter, lots to choose from at varying price points. I'm not certain what an entry level price point is, it may not prove economical.

+ Reply to Thread