+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The daftee-boy's birthday trip to the Lake District: 14th August 2016

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool The daftee-boy's birthday trip to the Lake District: 14th August 2016

Del and I recently spent a lovely day and a half in the Lake District, this time getting right out into the sticks, away from all the bloody walkers and tourists, which have previously marred our sojourns there, in places like Keswick and Windermere, simply because you can't move for folk! To really appreciate the stunning beauty of this part of England, you have to get off the beaten track.

Before lunch, we enjoyed a nice long walk around the wooded areas of Elterwater, heading towards Chapel Stile and beyond. Nice and peaceful, without a soul in sight. The sense of tranquility was palpable. Not often one can say that about the Lake District in peak season!

Pile of Lakeland stone, just beside the path where we walked. On the way back, I picked up a couple of really nice bits (pretty heavy, though) and carried them back to the car, about a mile away at that point - certainly gave me an appetite for lunch!! The intention is to turn them into shelves to sit lamps on, for our new bespoke kitchen, which will have a very natural and organic feel to its design.

Just showing how lovely and clear the water was in the stream running alongside us. Some nicely coloured stones, too:

On the right, a nice pub we stopped at for a drink, on the way across the Hardknott Pass, at the tiny and remote little village of Boot:

Shown below is the Britannia Inn, in the picturesque village of Elterwater, behind the village green, where we enjoyed a superb pub lunch. Very quaint and idyllic! Details here for anyone interested: http://thebritanniainn.com/food-drin...the-brit-.aspx

The Stove restaurant, which was part of the Langdale Hotel, where we stayed, situated in the Langdale estate, just outside of Elterwater, where we enjoyed a superb dinner in beautiful surroundings:

And at night, where the vibe was really cosy and intimate:

Small reception check-in area, shown below. As the hotel rooms are dotted around the estate, you're given a small map with directions to your room! Ample parking facilities are provided right outside. This unconventional approach gives the hotel a very open, non-claustrophobic and relaxed feel, which is one of the things I liked most about it

Details for the hotel here: https://www.langdale.co.uk/index.html

The spectacular Wrynose Pass, leading onto the even more spectacular Hardknott pass, where the scenery was breathtaking, but the roads were, shall we say, 'somewhat challenging'!

Details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrynose_Pass

Took my dad's little Honda for the journey (with its retractable panoramic roof), which was far more suited to these roads than the Brabster:

Remote, rugged and just stunning - the pics don't do it justice...

This is about as wide as the road got, and there were both sheer climbs, followed by blind bends, and sheer drops right at corners to contend with... It was certainly 'entertaining' when one met an oncoming car

A nice little choo-choo... Ravensglass and Eskdale steam railway:

The quaint little village of Boot:

I think we must've taken a wrong turn somewhere.........

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Lovely scenery, it really is a beautiful place. I think we often don't appreciate the beauty on our doorstep.

Thanks for taking the time to share the photos. Hotel looks nice!

I'm Adam.

Looks stunning, Marco, although I can't believe you left the Merc behind. I bet it would have made short work of the Hardknott Pass (despite the tractor engine under the bonnet!)
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm John.

Looks idyllic Marco. Some stunning scenery there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Looks stunning, Marco, although I can't believe you left the Merc behind. I bet it would have made short work of the Hardknott Pass (despite the tractor engine under the bonnet!)
    Hehehehe.... In bits, yes, but honestly Adam, there were other parts of the road where, when you met on-coming traffic, even at the widest part of the road in the appointed 'Passing Places', you could hardly get a lolly-pop stick between both cars when you were side by side!!

The Merc would've been too wide, and I wouldn't have risked scratching it, just before it's going in to be 'detailed' next week: http://www.clbcarcare.co.uk/enhancem...tail-164-c.asp

I've been wanting to have that done for a while, but was waiting until we had our new car port built, which will be happening shortly, in order to ensure that the car is protected properly from the elements, after the work's been carried out. Should hopefully turn out nice, and save me a fortune in car washes!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Fabulous post Marco, glad you and Dell had a good visit

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Looks idyllic Marco. Some stunning scenery there for sure.
    Cheers, John. It was lovely - one of the nicest UK-based trips we've been on in a while. We intend to go back again before the end of the year and stay for a week, this time at the Brimstone, which is part of the same estate the Langdale was located in:

http://www.brimstonehotel.co.uk/?gcl...wsYaAqkG8P8HAQ

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Fabulous post Marco, glad you and Dell had a good visit
    Cheers, Alan. We certainly did. I think you'd have enjoyed it, too

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

Nice one Marco, it is a great part of the world. I have mountain biked Hardknott and wryness pass and crashed on one of them! Takes a bit of puff getting up them but the downhill is...
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Lol - you're on your own with that. We met a few cyclists, and most were struggling to get up the sheer climbs! Ideally, I'd take a motorbike with me, to tackle those passes, as the ride would be thrilling!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast