+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Integrating the modern world with the vintage world

I'm Paul.

Default Integrating the modern world with the vintage world

Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct section to ask this but

My Hi-Fi system is over 30 years old but still sounds good for vinyl and CD's but I have a huge music collection on my PC which I either play through Active Speakers attached to the PC or through the Old Hi-Fi amp via a low quality WiFi dongle from Maplin, sound is OK but connection is not stable, with signal dropout if i do things like check my e.mails or even walk between the PC and Amp which are about 20 feet apart.

In the modern music world what are you all using to play your digital collections though your Hi-Fi gear.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

I'm Adam.

I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch which I bought several years ago on Amazon sale for £129 in my main lounge system. Works well with my 20 / 30 year old Hi-Fi Rig. A mixture of old fashioned Creek integrated amplifier, old school AVI Neuton IV speakers, Pioneer Stable Platter CD Player, 1990s Music Fidelity X10D Valve buffer - with state of the art now DAC (Beresford Caiman II on battery power).

Sadly a few years ago Logitech (in their wisdom) decided to discontinue this excellent product.....

...consequently you now see it regularly up for sale secondhand for £300+ !!!

When I wanted a second Squeezebox for my bedroom system - rather than pay these stupid prices I built a clone using a mini Raspberry Pi computer and a push on Wolfson Audio Card. Depends how techy you are but I didn't find it difficult to build this in it's owns custom case (no soldering required). Cost me less that £70 all told. This was a couple of years ago - there are now myriad Pi clones of the Squeezebox to choose from - just Google it !
    Adam.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    In the modern music world what are you all using to play your digital collections though your Hi-Fi gear.
    SSD equipped MacBook Pro > WiFi to Airport Express > Optical cable to DAC / HiFi etc.

I'm Paul.

Logitech media server (free) on your PC . Streamcast plugin (install into Logitech media server software for nowt) and a chromecast into the Hifi (via a DAC or not) (£30 + £5 cable). Works very well
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Gary.

Hi Paul, good question!
    Lots of different ways to get there, the Rasberry Pi is a popular option in these parts.

For myself:

Optimised for audio Windows Pc with digital files > Roonserver https://roonlabs.com > ethernet cable to Logitech Transporter > balanced XLR digital cable to my Dac.

Music accessed by Roon remote on Ipad, looks like this:
    Last edited by Gazjam; 28-08-2016 at 07:39.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread