+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Cambridge

thanks everyone! ...

Dave .... the DM2a's were a bit 'loose' on bass (and tired sounding with the Pioneer A400, but they need more power to perform better ...

works very well with the SA-9800 (100 watts @8 ohm) ... had some issues initially with speaker placement, but works fine when moved approx 2 foot from the back walls ... you can actually 'feel' the bass (if that makes sense)

I am a big fan of the IMF's (TLS80's and 50's) ...watch the prices daily and seem to be fetching high prices now ... (sold mine for £220) ... suppose I always fancied the transmission line speakers (auditioned some Mezzo 8's a month ago ... and was deeply dissapointed ... bass was lacking (suppose I am just used to the way my system and speakers sounds?)

Many people on WHF (what hi fi forum) have been praising the Rega cdp so will look very closely at that ... may keep the marantz for my 2nd system, but can say that the old Pioneer is very good ... so will be a toss up (could possibly sell the marantz and put that money towards my next cdp ... should get my £130 back as is in mint condition with box, instructions and certificate/remote)
    ... will look closely at your other recommendations as regards speakers ... as mentioned, I fancy the ditton 66's and should do well with bryston or old krell amplifiers ... I have space for large speakers

Hi Neil ... thanks for the welcome ... this is a super site!
    Dimitri.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Hello Dim,
    I've heard a pair of fully rebuilt DM2a's that were wall hung and they sounded very good with one of my old mullard 10 watt valve amps driving them, they also respond well to crossover rebuilding it brings them back to life.
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Yeah, sell the 63KIsig on the bay, Dave needs one...
    loads of 63K1sig's on ebay ...been watching closely ... £120-£130 gets you one in mint condition if you are patient ... check ebay on sat/sundays as thats when most people list new items ...

I found the old Rotel RCD-9658X to have a better soundstage than the marantz (rotel RCD-9658x limited edition is not the same as the standard RCD-965x) ... have not seen one listed for a very long time
    Dimitri.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by dim_span View Post
    loads of 63K1sig's on ebay ...been watching closely ... £120-£130 gets you one in mint condition if you are patient ... check ebay on sat/sundays as thats when most people list new items ...

I found the old Rotel RCD-9658X to have a better soundstage than the marantz (rotel RCD-9658x limited edition is not the same as the standard RCD-965x) ... have not seen one listed for a very long time
    It was a joke. I haven't use a CDP for two years... I use a DVD player into a dac for occasional listening.
    Rest of digital is FLAC/WMA lossless.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Hi Jon ... I contacted wembley speakers and enquired about having the DM2a's crossovers modded as I read somewhere that this was a good suggestion

guy responded saying 'if it ain't broke-don't fix it' ... so never persued the issue but can say that with my amp they sound really good (especially for the £50 paid) ...

saw a pair a week ago not get any bids and price was £24.99 .... DM2a's are one of the bargains on ebay at the moment IMHO
    Dimitri.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    It was a joke. I haven't use a CDP for two years... I use a DVD player into a dac for occasional listening.
    Rest of digital is FLAC/WMA lossless.
    no probs ... not many people like the CD63K1sig ... they say it's too bright ... sounds fine to me?
    Dimitri.

I'm notAlone.

To mee too it sounds fine. It's not too bright, it's overly-analytic, I would rather say. But it's not harsh, it's rather subtle imho.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12