+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap 24Bit /96kHz DAC

I'm Nobody.

Default Cheap 24Bit /96kHz DAC

Just ordered one of these..Guess what it looks quality aswell.

Hi Andre

Where did you order it from?

Richard

I'm Nobody.

Hi Richard
    Has a Tube output stage & defeatable volume control

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maverick-Audio...item4cec3cdeb2

I'm notAlone.

I guess you got this only for headphone use ?
    I'll wait for your impressions Andre.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Nobody.

Yes for headphone mainly..I want to hear my FLAC's in 24 Bit/96kHz aswell.... I would like to hear the Micromega through this as i find the DAC in that player rather like the Benchmark, being USB that great for streaming from the laptop..

I'm Nobody.

I don't know what chip set it uses but look at these two. Look at the simularity.. The tubes a '6N3' replaceable with '5670'

(Maverick)

(Xiang Sheng DAC-01)

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I do hope the valves don't screw it up. if you choose decent alternatives, you may even enhance the basic performance...

Andre, if you found the Micromega too clinical or straight-laced, I'd suggest it could be the remastered analogue material (that wasn't properly listened to when digitising) you seem to play mostly, and possibly a hash-less interconnect like the better Mark Grant offering. Fodder for another thread methinks.

Good luck with this DAC and please keep us posted, especially if you can get a Caiman to compare it with
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Not sure if it is allowed to post a link to another forum? Anyway, I will! - looks like they are one and the same company - see post #3 in this:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/audiophile...be-preamp.html
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I do hope the valves don't screw it up. if you choose decent alternatives, you may even enhance the basic performance...

Andre, if you found the Micromega too clinical or straight-laced, I'd suggest it could be the remastered analogue material (that wasn't properly listened to when digitising) you seem to play mostly, and possibly a hash-less interconnect like the better Mark Grant offering. Fodder for another thread methinks.
    btw:The valve doesnt work through the headphone out!

I've tried a few interconnects Dave which all have different properties Nordost, Chord, Kimber. The Kimber is best with the player, don't get me wrong the player sound terrific & very detailed.But i'm used to the sound of my old Sony machine but don't wanna go back to Sony if you know what i mean. I won't be listerning to CD through the phones anyway, infact i don't know what i'm babbling on about as FLAC is my primary source now & has been for some time.

Anyway, first shipping for the unit is 6th Dec,takes less than a week to get here so we'll see then.At the price it costs it's worth a try.

Re: the Caiman, nop told Stan before his asthetics are horrible.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Kimber cables are supposed to nullify or severely attenuate RF travelling along them. As so many of these CD players are sensitive to and transmit RF and ultra-sonic mush into the interconnects and mains, this may just be the main reason why the Kimbers work so well. The thing about genuinely good interconnects is that they are very "clean" at very very high frequencies and this seems to benefit the audio range too, as the amp isn't given a smeared and dirty ultra-sonic and RF signal...

I rather like the cleanliness of the Caiman.. Hmmmmmmm.....

Good luck with your purchase in any case and PLEASE try the valve driven line out with your system..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast