+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jelco SA-750D - Optimum Setup

I'm Retief.

Hi Shuggie

I have the same issues. I don't seem to be able to set this arm up properly on my SL1210. It works fine with my DL-110 and AT95E, but I cannot get my Goldring 1042 to work. I experience severe distortion! Perhaps the Goldring is too compliant? Does anybody have experience with the 1042 and 750D?

Shuggie, can you let me know what protractor you used to set up? I've tried both the Technics Baerwald arc protractor and the Baerwald stupid protractor on VE. Also used a spirit level to set VTA and the Shure VTF gauge.

Does anybody know of a good dealer in London who can help, I am getting desperate!

The other possibility is that I somehow managed to damage the 1042, is there any place I can send it to, to be checked out?

Chivas
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 1042 should work at 1.7 grammes or so. is the distortion on both channels? On the left is too much bias and on the right it's too little. How about the damping this arm has? The 1042 should need much if any at all..

Can't help further. HiFi dave may be able to help, as the TA arm was the same or similar I believe...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    Hi Shuggie

I have the same issues. I don't seem to be able to set this arm up properly on my SL1210. It works fine with my DL-110 and AT95E, but I cannot get my Goldring 1042 to work.
    Hi Chivas

Please understand that I don't have any issue with the Jelco - I only wish to get the very best from it. I like what it is doing on the Technics, and that is where it is staying (my Tecnoarm will find a permanent home on my old Kenwood once the Pete Riggle VTAF is fitted).

That aside,

I experience severe distortion! Perhaps the Goldring is too compliant? Does anybody have experience with the 1042 and 750D?
    Sorry - I can't help you there.

Shuggie, can you let me know what protractor you used to set up? I've tried both the Technics Baerwald arc protractor and the Baerwald stupid protractor on VE. Also used a spirit level to set VTA and the Shure VTF gauge.
    I use the Clearaudio alignment jig, set to IEC Standard alignment. IIRC Dave Cawley also recommends this gadget. It's very expensive, but it does take all of the guesswork out of alignment.

If you are using a good spirit level to set VTA and azimuth and still get distortion, then note what Adam said earlier. It may be that your cartridge requires some manual correction in its alignment:

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke
    Your comment regarding the Ortofons being best set up perfectly level is interesting. When Noel Keywood was testing the Dr. Feickert Adjust + cartridge setup software whilst I was at Hi-Fi World full time, he and I spent about a month or so putting every cartridge we could get our hands on through it! The only manufacturer that showed consistently good results for correct SRA and correctly aligned coils were Ortofon. I'll always remember one cartridge (in the +£1500 price bracket!) that needed nearly 3 degrees of headshell rotation in order to give equal distortion figures on each channel!
    Does anybody know of a good dealer in London who can help, I am getting desperate!

The other possibility is that I somehow managed to damage the 1042, is there any place I can send it to, to be checked out?

Chivas
    I have no experience of London dealers, but Walrus is always praised. Do you have another cartridge to try in the Jelco? [edit - I see that you do] You could always get a new stylus for the Goldring.

I hope all that helps.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 27-11-2009 at 07:28. Reason: Correction

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 1042 these days, it's too ploddy IMO with a one-note treble (cymbal crashes etc) and styli cost a fortune.

Can you save for a Sumiko Blue Point Special? The skeletal design needs some care in setup and use (inner alignment point 60mm from centre of record on Linn length arms IIRC), but the sound is energetic, powerful and with an almost Decca like sense of "being there......." See if you can find a good used one...

I'm Ralph.

Another thumbs up for the BPS, great sound, punchy, detailed, dynamic, toe-tapping tunefulness abounds. It's a physically large and heavy cartridge and definitely not to be fitted by those of a nervous disposition due to its nakedness and it's not the greatest tracker (typical of the breed, I believe) but the best bit is the price, it's the same now as it was when I got mine in the late 90's!
    If your arm can actually accommodate the thing then go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Cheers

I'm Paul.

Hi Shuggie,

I know its a simple thing but often overlooked. Have you checked the compatibility of your cartridge with your arm to see where the resonance will be?

IMO the next major issue is getting the cartridge body parallel with the record ie VTA.
    ~Paul~

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Hi Shuggie,

I know its a simple thing but often overlooked. Have you checked the compatibility of your cartridge with your arm to see where the resonance will be?
    Why? As I've been at pains to point out, I'm happy with the results that I have from the Jelco with my Ortofons. This thread was initiated solely to trawl for experiences and setup tips that might enable me to further optimise the arm's performance. I do not believe that there is any incompatibility between it and my Ortofon cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    IMO the next major issue is getting the cartridge body parallel with the record ie VTA.
    Quite. As I have stated, Audio Origami's headshell spirit levels make this a very easy process. Bang on level works for Ortofons, but read what Adam (Beobloke) wrote on that subject:

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke
    Your comment regarding the Ortofons being best set up perfectly level is interesting. When Noel Keywood was testing the Dr. Feickert Adjust + cartridge setup software whilst I was at Hi-Fi World full time, he and I spent about a month or so putting every cartridge we could get our hands on through it! The only manufacturer that showed consistently good results for correct SRA and correctly aligned coils were Ortofon. I'll always remember one cartridge (in the +£1500 price bracket!) that needed nearly 3 degrees of headshell rotation in order to give equal distortion figures on each channel!

I'm Retief.

Will the Sumiko Blue Point Special work well with the 750d? How does it compare to the Dynavector 10x5 which was the other cartridge I was considering.
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm David.

The 10XV is expensive now, and the "safe" option, being as in real terms it's not hugely better (if at all) than a Denon DL110, which USED to cost the same............. The 10X has gone through its "versions" more to increase its price I understand (each time a "change" is negotiated, the price is as well, the DL110 has remained the same over its life, so the price has remained static apart from currency changes).

IMO, the BPS would be the better choice and the Jelco's extra mass with Sumiko headshell would definitely be an advantage in my view.
    Last edited by DSJR; 27-11-2009 at 17:13.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Why? As I've been at pains to point out, I'm happy with the results that I have from the Jelco with my Ortofons. This thread was initiated solely to trawl for experiences and setup tips that might enable me to further optimise the arm's performance. I do not believe that there is any incompatibility between it and my Ortofon cartridges.

Quite. As I have stated, Audio Origami's headshell spirit levels make this a very easy process. Bang on level works for Ortofons, but read what Adam (Beobloke) wrote on that subject:
    Well that told me!
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast