+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wtd: speakers upto £1k for 12w valve amp.

I'm Steve.

Default Wtd: speakers upto £1k for 12w valve amp.

The downsize is on again for a few months while I plough some pennies into a family holiday in October.At this point I'd normally snap up those lovely little harbeths of Ian's at that bargain price but I'm not sure they'd work with my AI amp..and I'm quite attached to it.

So, looking for something easy to drive -I have around 12 meaty watts to play with - not too big - think medium floorstanders like my LVs max or larger stand mounts upto say Harbeth compact 7 ES3 or AUDIONOTE J size.

My speakers sit either side of an fireplace in alcoves so nothing too bass heavy works really.

Budget is £1000 tops.

I'm Chris.

Maybe too bright for you?
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...l-Smith-fabric

we know you're a conservative chap? Though I'm not sure about the logic of spending £1K pre 'family holiday' computes! (-:
    Chris.

I'm Steve.

I've sold more expensive speakers... Buying cheaper ones Chris, putting the difference in the holiday pot ��

I'm chris.

Steve --- if you were tempted by the Harbeths but dont have the 'watts' to drive them I can hand on heart recommend the MAD

I'm Lawrence.

Mentioned in another forum but in case you missed it, have a look at the Kelly KT3s on gumtree for £300 or offer. Well reviewed for low power amps and would save you a small fortune!

I'm Lawrence.

Meant to say, Sensitivity is 95db I'd say 92 or 3 is the min for 12w. And no connection! I'd have snapped them up if I didn't love my current speakers (at £250 anyway).

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by hughandella View Post
    Steve --- if you were tempted by the Harbeths but dont have the 'watts' to drive them I can hand on heart recommend the MAD

I was going to suggest some Snell/AN stand-mounts too - K's or J's? very efficient, reasonable cabinet size but bass not flabby as I remember (distantly) and AI amps were the dogs doo-dabs with them as I recall...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread