+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audio inovations l1?

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Huh!... say what?

Cathode follower perchance?
    You might well be right Mike, I haven't got a clue tbh!

But was told that they rejected the cathode follower configuration for an anode follower circuit as it sounded better, but it all means nothing to me
    Last edited by alfie2902; 25-11-2009 at 22:14. Reason: Typos
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm InSpace.

Ahhh... hang on!. I thought for a min that it's something I've never heard of. But I have!

Only I heard it referred to as 'plate' follower! It's the same thing!

I've no experience of it, so it didn't ring a bell, sorry.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

here's my L1 wot I bought new back then, its modified with FranklandCapacitors and a ricardoStepped attenuator.....I originally used it in a second system and it provided good service - it replaced a Rose RV23 which I regret selling.

The L1 is a nice basic sounding pre, nothing a Croft wont be scared of eh Dave ? it is flat and shiny compared to my slushy SP8 and Sp10

the headphones are AT electrets in case anyone is not interested

Please note the advanced high-end CABLELOOM
    Last edited by bigmoog; 27-11-2009 at 09:06.
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoog View Post
    here's my L1 wot I bought new back then, its modified with FranklandCapacitors and a ricardoStepped attenuator....
    No doubt these mods gave the L1 an Absolute Flat Response..... (Chris)FranklandCapacitors and a Ricardo (whatsisname) Absolute SoundsStepped thing...

alright I'll get me coat....
    Last edited by REM; 27-11-2009 at 14:20. Reason: 'coz I could

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Why not get in touch with Guy at Puresound (that's his online monika). There was a thread on PF about these IIRC and he designed them (again, IIRC).

He may be able to recommend some sensible updates to it and hifi Dave tells me he's a good guy to deal with..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Why not get in touch with Guy at Puresound (that's his online monika). There was a thread on PF about these IIRC and he designed them (again, IIRC).

He may be able to recommend some sensible updates to it and hifi Dave tells me he's a good guy to deal with..

Yes Guy is one of the good guys. I have known him for years...more than I care to remember, though until he had Puresound I had not spoken to him in quite awhile; since the Audio innovations days (except for meeting him at the odd audio show) Edit and on AOS recently of course

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 27-11-2009 at 13:45.
    Regards Neil

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Here's a link to the thread on PFM. Quite a good read.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...t=47929&page=2

I also read somewhwere of Guy commenting on hearing an L1 recently that had been rebuilt point to point wired & was quite impressed IIRC.

bigmoog how much improvement did modding the L1 with Frankland Capacitors and a Ricardo Stepped attenuator make?

I bought the L1 as a stepping stone until I've sold my Expo's, but it's doing a better job than I expected so who knows what will happen, Just wish I had some basic electronics knowledge & better soldering skills!

Cheers, alfie

EDIT; Just re-read the thread I linked & the point to point rewired comment is in the same thread
    Last edited by alfie2902; 27-11-2009 at 13:50.
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    Here's a link to the thread on PFM. Quite a good read.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...t=47929&page=2

I also read somewhwere of Guy commenting on hearing an L1 recently that had been rebuilt point to point wired & was quite impressed IIRC.

bigmoog how much improvement did modding the L1 with Frankland Capacitors and a Ricardo Stepped attenuator make?

I bought the L1 as a stepping stone until I've sold my Expo's, but it's doing a better job than I expected so who knows what will happen, Just wish I had some basic electronics knowledge & better soldering skills!

Cheers, alfie

well, It has superb foot tappability and pure Rankinian/Collomsish PRAT aligned with awesome detail, huge enveloping soundstage,harmonic thoroughness and extended highs.....also the noise floor is so low, one can hear what type of velour the chairs of Carnegie Hall are made from.

siriusly , I modded the L1 with a TDK stepped attenuator and had new caps fitted, so now it sounds slightly 'fatter' and less 'shiny' if you know wot me means.....I also changed the stock ECC82 for a NOS Kremlin Cryo-Tube
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoog View Post
    well, It has superb foot tappability and pure Rankinian/Collomsish PRAT aligned with awesome detail, huge enveloping soundstage,harmonic thoroughness and extended highs.....also the noise floor is so low, one can hear what type of velour the chairs of Carnegie Hall are made from.

siriusly , I modded the L1 with a TDK stepped attenuator and had new caps fitted, so now it sounds slightly 'fatter' and less 'shiny' if you know wot me means.....I also changed the stock ECC82 for a NOS Kremlin Cryo-Tube
    Thanks for that bigmoog!

Yes I understand what you mean by 'Shiny'! My WAD KEL84 is the one input version with a volume pot & If I run a source straight into the KEL it sounds a little 'Fatter' But the L1 seems to add a little more detail & gives me a little more gain for my phono stage

Cheers, alfie
    alfie

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Alfie,the pre is probably driving the amp better than the source is capable of.It may also provide better impedance matching.As for tweaking it,look no further than Hi-Fi Collective for some boutique capacitors and a stepped attenuator at good prices.The best caps I've heard are the SCR teflons,but these are seriously expensive.A very cheap cap are the Sonique (made by Clarity Cap) range sold by WD.These are stonking value for money at less than a fiver each.You have several in your KEL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast