+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Audio inovations l1?

I'm David.

Linn majik ds - L1 pre - lm3886 gainclones - pmc fb1
    Belive it or not, it sounds fantastic! Open, great soundstage! Someone I know used the word sweet when describing a hifi the other day.. I would use that word now! I'm so chuffed! I now have a stand in hifi I can listen too! I'm Gonna buy this pre an use this convo with my ushers in my second system I have a strong feeling that will be a very nice combo!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Talismans are incredibly over-damped if anything IIRC. Not a criticism, but speakers such as this do seem to need a bit of extra "grunt" to get those drivers moving in the first place. Other speakers like my Spendors (or especially the BC1) for example, need all the grip from an amp they can get if the bass isn't to completely lose it...
    Hi Dave,

I think you may of missed what I was trying to say about the Talismans.

Let me try & explain better,
    I'm using the WAD KEL84 at 15 watts into my Living Voice OBX-R which are rated 94dB which should produce pretty high SPLs. It seems though, as Ali said, that the speakers have sacrificed a gentle impedance load for sensitivity. What makes me believe this is the case, is that my old Ruark Talisman IIs rated at 86dB seem to produce very similar SPLs to the LVs when the volume pot is in a similar position. So either my LVs take alot more driving than their 94dB would suggest or they are broken, hence the health check!

Cheers, alfie
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Linn majik ds - L1 pre - lm3886 gainclones - pmc fb1
    Belive it or not, it sounds fantastic! Open, great soundstage! Someone I know used the word sweet when describing a hifi the other day.. I would use that word now! I'm so chuffed! I now have a stand in hifi I can listen too! I'm Gonna buy this pre an use this convo with my ushers in my second system I have a strong feeling that will be a very nice combo!!
    Hi Hamish,

Glad it's working out for you! The L1 is pretty nice isn't it! For what they can be picked up for anyway. Might be different when you get your TD preamp though!

Cheers, alfie
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    Hi Hamish,

Glad it's working out for you! The L1 is pretty nice isn't it! For what they can be picked up for anyway. Might be different when you get your TD preamp though!

Cheers, alfie
    oh yeah!!! It sounds right faff comparered to the td kit!!
    It's just good to have somthing to listen to until that comes through!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Hamish, are you at Phototopic by any chance?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

yeah phototopic sight2sound... how did you know that?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I dealt with the Swindon contingent when I was on the road many years ago and my colleague called on you (Karl). Some of your used stuff is very good and very reasonably priced as I recall
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

pete at swindon is a really good bloke, i frequently ring him for advice on hifi.. he was telling me the other day he bought a sme v for a "couple of hundred quid" ... jammy git!
    Karl? called on me specifically or swindon.. who did you used to work for dave?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234