+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More Unusual Speakers

I'm Dan.

Default More Unusual Speakers

Hello Guys

Upon doing my charity shop rounds ive come across these home made / kit speakers? Bass driver is Celestion Modal 44? , Eagle CT 10 Tweeter no makers name on the cabinets just a grill cloth to make them look like AR as i thought they were i ran in the shop the tweeters are 16 ohm & the celestion 15......difficult load

Any ideas of what the maker could be if their was one........walked in the shop saw them asked for a screw driver to check the drivers as you never know i was hoping for tannoy but going back tomorrow as have been told they have some more HI-FI upstairs...... could be interesting

Also wiring them up i presume the black is - and red +?

Thanks
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

I reckon they are either home made or from a very small and long gone manufacturer.

I don't know much about that Celestion bass driver, but the horn tweeter was marketed under many brand names. Eagle being the most common in this country. I believe they were actually made by Coral, they were a decent budget unit, and actually sound surprisingly nice. I have a couple of pairs.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I reckon they are either home made or from a very small and long gone manufacturer.

I don't know much about that Celestion bass driver, but the horn tweeter was marketed under many brand names. Eagle being the most common in this country. I believe they were actually made by Coral, they were a decent budget unit, and actually sound surprisingly nice. I have a couple of pairs.
    Sound interesting i think they are worth a go for £20...
    How would you suggest i go about testing them im confused by the wiring?

Thanks
    Daniel
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Dan.

They sound.....well not to my liking but maybe need different amplification im guessing they need valves....
    Last edited by dantheman91; 03-08-2016 at 18:47.
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

If they are in good condition the Celestion 44 units might fetch a bob or two on eBay. Vintage drivers are popular. Particularly 15/16 ohm items.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

If they are in good condition the Celestion 44 units might fetch a bob or two on eBay. Vintage drivers are popular. Particularly 15/16 ohm items.
    Excellent condition Geoff maybe i will keep hold of them for a winter project i think they have been wall mounted as they have a lot of hooks on the back try finding the celestion 44 drivers when all you get in the common 44 on google....
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Dan.

Excellent condition Geoff maybe i will keep hold of them for a winter project i think they have been wall mounted as they have a lot of hooks on the back try finding the celestion 44 drivers when all you get in the common 44 on google....
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

I reckon they date from the sixties. Probably the forerunner to the G12. They have a 10 watt rating and might be good on a simple open baffle with a low powered valve amp. You'd need a decent tweeter. Maybe a compression driver + horn flare.

+ Reply to Thread