+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gyrodec arm set up wow factor at last !

I'm Oliver.

Default Gyrodec arm set up wow factor at last !

Late last year I purchased an Origin Live Encounter MK3C tonearm, & set it up on my Gyrodec with my DV20xl2 following the instruction manual & using the supplied protractor. I was not 100% happy with the resulting sound, as I could not hear the expansive soundstaging & air & space that I had read about in forums & reviews

Last week I came across the avid-high-precision-mirrored-alignment-gauge-for-rega-arms in AoS, which appeared simple to use & accurate, so took a punt & purchased one.

Yesterday I realigned my cartridge with the new protractor, set the VTF & listened to a couple of tracks. The sound was a bit better but still below my expectations, so double checked the setup, still spot on to my eyes, & thought "what could possibly still be wrong"

I then asked my daughter (who thinks I am a nerd when it comes to my hi fi ) to check my settings, which were ok to her superior eye sight, mmmmmmm then it hit me !!!

While I had my daughter's assistance, I thought let's check the VTA with me holding the OL protractor parallel to the arm, with my daughter checking if the top of the armtube was level. She checked & said that the rear of the arm was down about 3mm which was a surprise to me as I had done this check many times before, so reluctantly I raised the arm, put on my old crackly Bob Marley Rastaman Vibration LP, sat in the sweetspot and .........

F### my old boots ! Bob was in the room dead centre, with backing singers slightly behind & to the side of him, I could hear the tone of the bass guitar, everything just seemed to snap into focus, even my daughter was impressed

I was so chuffed, I poured myself a large rum, and listened to my "NEW" record collection until 01:00 without a Cigar break

Must go and apologise to my neighbours, and let them know it WILL happen again tonight

At last I get what you guys have been saying about vinyl, just a pity I took so long to get the setup right !

I'm Robert.

and a cracking Marley album that is too Oliver

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    and a cracking Marley album that is too Oliver
    lol, I will need to get it properly cleaned to hear it at it's best

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by OD1 View Post
    lol, I will need to get it properly cleaned to hear it at it's best
    Sounds like in your case it's crackling rather than cracking at the mo'

I'm Oliver.

I'm Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff.

Thankgod you don't live next door to me otherwise I would of cut your electricity line.

But glad you got it setup - it brings a big ol' smile to the face when you get the spot right

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronicals View Post
    Thankgod you don't live next door to me otherwise I would of cut your electricity line.

But glad you got it setup - it brings a big ol' smile to the face when you get the spot right
    lol -Just spoke to them, they didn't hear a thing, they went to bed at 10 & I don't play loud (tend to stick below peaks of 90db at 2 metres).

You are correct about the smile on my face, haven't smiled so much since I caught a 46lb Wahoo in Barbados

+ Reply to Thread