+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best amp on a budget?

I'm Martijn.

Default Best amp on a budget?

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my system with a new amp.
    I now use a Beresford TC-7520 DAC to listen to my Flac files I stream from my Mac using Cog and Airfoil.
    Budget is around €500,- for something to replace my Onkyo TX-SV535 receiver.
    Speakers are Acoustic Research Status S50 floorstanders, between the DAC and the receivers sits a Monster 250 Interlink and between my Airport Express and the DAC sits a Beresford Optical cable.
    Speaker cable now is standard 4mm Oehlbach stuff, nothing fancy yet but this might change when I upgrade some more.

I have been looking at The Marantz MP6003 and the Rotel RA-04 for starters, but the the feeling came that you guys might know a bit more about what is good and what isn't.

I'm fairly new to hifi so just asking the experts

Thanks,

Martijn
    Martijn

Try and look out for a 2nd hand NAD C272 poweramp. Its a great amp for the money.
    I had a C272 once, and it drove my father's Martin Logan Quest Z speakers with great results!

Good luck on your search.

I'm notAlone.

On solid-state, the Harman Kardon HK-980 is a serious alternative to the Marantz, imho.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Martijn.

Now that you mention solid state, I also thought about a Chinese tube amp as they aren't that expensive.
    I fact I would love a tube amp, but price of a good one is about the only thing that's keeping me from buying one...
    Martijn

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubeman View Post
    Now that you mention solid state, I also thought about a Chinese tube amp as they aren't that expensive.
    I fact I would love a tube amp, but price of a good one is about the only thing that's keeping me from buying one...
    http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm Martijn.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    I have been thinking about that lovely little amp but I in wouldn't know if it has sufficient power for my 6x4 meter living room.
    My speakers have a 92dB sensitivity and have a impedance of 6 ohm but I have no idea how hard they are to drive for such a little amp
    Martijn

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Seriously, don't look at the mass marketeers. They seem to me to always be review fodder, rather than decent examples of amplification.....

For new solid state on a budget, please look at Rega amps. Well made, great service and an honest reproduction standard, if a little brightly lit for some on here. Cambridge are good too, but lack the "cachet" of other brands and their absolute straight-down-the-line truthfulness puts lovers of romance off a good bit..

Can't you use the little Mini-Watt at a couple of hundred notes and then save for a Croft Micro25/Series 7? Just a thought, but these are so good, you won't need to look at amps again unless you want some bling in your setup.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Twisted.

Cubeman

I am not an expert but I'm going to make a suggestion anyway.

Consider good second hand. You can buy something that looks new and (obviously) your rmoney will go far further.

I've just got rid of an RA-05 (basically an 04 with a remote control) and have replaced it with an older Arcam A85 for less than than the Rotel cost me new. The Arcam is a significantly better amp in every respect.

Simon

I'm David.

I have no real authority to recomend it but these beringer a500 pro amps get a lot of bice stuff said about them!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    I have no real authority to recomend it but these beringer a500 pro amps get a lot of bice stuff said about them!
    Good power amps, indeed. I forgot these, thought the OP needed an integrated.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast