+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: power amp at least 40-50w+ in Reading/Farnborough area (purchase or loan)

montesquieu Guest

Default Wanted: power amp at least 40-50w+ in Reading/Farnborough area (purchase or loan)

The big Radford is still playing up and I have guests here for the the next week.

Anyone got a chunky valve or solid state power amp that could power the Tannoy HPDs, not too far from me?

Ideal would be a Bill Beard KT88 or somesuch, maybe a Lyngdorf, something like that?

Not looking for anything too pricey as it's a stopgap really, say £500-ish?

Happy to buy but if there's anything I could borrow for a week or two that would be even better.

On the bright side, might be a chance to experiment a bit.

I'm Alex.

Pm sent

I'm Mike.

I could loan you my IncaTech Claymore MKII integrated ( 100W pc ) which has way more grunt than my TQ Claymore lol, if that was any good ? Would have to be posted though.

Mike.

I'm Alex.

Shame about the Radford, they are usually very reliable. Do you know what's wrong?

My Radford STA25 III has not really been touched, only output valves swapped to preserve the original Mullards. Bought the amp about 1975.

That said, it will probably go bang soon.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quad 303 or 405-2? They are relatively cheap and reliable.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Getting very good sound using this into BBC Rogers LS3/6, also tried it with HPD 315's, good, but not the power you want:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3-to-18...-/272159153887

I wonder if there is any cheaper, new, good quality amplifier. Power supply is an from an old laptop, 16V, and I have glued on an additional heatsink, a old processor heatsink from a PC.
    Spendorman

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Shame about the Radford, they are usually very reliable. Do you know what's wrong?

My Radford STA25 III has not really been touched, only output valves swapped to preserve the original Mullards. Bought the amp about 1975.

That said, it will probably go bang soon.

Third time it's blown an EF184. Something not right that needs tracking down. I'm sure whatever it is won't be a big drama but I suspect the job to track down the issue might take a while.

I'm Alex.

Going to Will for the repair?
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

EF184's are a particularly fragile valve... but very good.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Going to Will for the repair?
    Off to Valvebloke/Ampregen, who is in easy driving distance thankfully.

I have a new consignment of Philips Miniwatt (UK production) en route from Italy to replace the Mazdas that are in it, it's possible (though perhaps unlikely) it's a bad batch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast