+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Counter weight or headshell mass

I'm James.

Default Counter weight or headshell mass

I have a small predicament with my tonearm and the Decca cartridge in that my counterweight is very slightly too heavy for the Decca and so it is right up against the tonearm pivot. I have therefore had to add a tiny bit more mass to the Decca cartridge.

My question. Is it better to add mass on the headshell or get a lighter counterweight?

I am only needing a few grams on the headshell if that?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Charlie.

James,

why not put a slightly larger bit of blutak between the headshell and the Decca?

I'm Geoff.

Extra mass at the headshell can be useful with Deccas. A little careful experimentation will do no harm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Johan.

Is this a problem with tracking force set by using a scale? If you can reach correct tracking force, there is no need for added
    weight.

I'm Geoff.

Added mass at the headshell may help the Decca perform optimally. It is a lower compliance device and like the Denon DL-103, has a sound that seems to consolidate with a bit of mass behind it. This may not be so effective with a fluid damped arm though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

I have added more blue tac which seems to have done the trick and also helps with the rattling tin can!

I may however get a headshell weight as there is one available for the VPI tonearm.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/hea...ll-weight.html
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread