+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best KT88 valve?

I'm Andrew.

You can still buy EAT KT88 but prices seem to vary from $350-750 per valve. I think I'll try the GEC KT88's.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

montesquieu Guest

The best 'affordable' KT88s were Svetlana Winged Cs - I never felt the need to go to anything more exotic.

I'm running KT90s at the moment in the big Radford (needed a bit of tweaking by Valvebloke) I have two Winged C KT88s in the box patiently awaiting aother NOS pair becoming available. Very thin on the ground these day. But I think I'd keep them in reserve even if found as I do rather like the KT90s.

It seems to me like most modern production KT88s are either not very robust, or not very good sounding - hard to find anything that's both. (To be fair I haven't tried the EATs which are nevertheless probably rightly tagged as 'best'). Some people do seem to recommend the Golden Lion KT88s as a decent, modern production all round compromise, I've had decent results with these too.

I'm Andrew.

i thought about kt90s I suppose it stops having to worry about the best of the KT88s. The main contenders seem to be EAT, GEC, Svetlana winged C's Tesla. I'm not paying EAT prices, so I'll just have to do a little more research and bite the bullet at some point.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It seems to me like most modern production KT88s are either not very robust, or not very good sounding - hard to find anything that's both. (To be fair I haven't tried the EATs which are nevertheless probably rightly tagged as 'best'). Some people do seem to recommend the Golden Lion KT88s as a decent, modern production all round compromise, I've had decent results with these too.
    The Svet Winged C was well rated by many.

But basically, I agree with your summation. And it is a shame, as it can sound very good when done right.

A couple of EAT 300Bs look to be around a similar price to KR equivs. The KR 300B is defo great in my DAC as I have tried it. I'm going to e-mail EAT now. Been reading some reviews and one guy on Head-Fi is amazed by the EATs. I'm sucker enough to believe him LOL.

I'm John.

Pretty apt thread for me as I have been valve (and amp) rolling today.

I've tried Sovtek and Gold Lion KT88s, GL KT77s, JJ EL34s as alternatives to the KT120s that came in my Prima Luna amp.

Each have their strengths but Sovtek suits my set up best.

Problem is I have only pairs rather than quads of some so a bit of mono fiddling required!

Think I'll phone Anthony of Tube Distinctions as he has a whole web page about KT88s and seems to be "the man" on these.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Is there a universally accepted holy grail of KT88's?
    My money is on the MOV version. Enjoyed them in one of the Baird amps (or was it VTA?) many moons ago.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Best over all KT88's ever produced undoubtably were, and still are' the original GEC KT88, single or triple getter versions, both are excellent in Sonics, and longevity!
    As for the EAT KT88's, it is true, they do have an incredible sonic presentation, even when comparing with the GEC, however; they were plagued by reliability issues due mainly to poor cathode to heater insulation problems. The valve in question was made by the original Tesla factory before it closed its doors in the early 2000's, they had decided years before, that making Audio valves was not profitable any more, and they were to concentrate on making, and producing valves for broadcasting/transmitting etc, they soon realised their mistake, and tried once again to make certain audio types [including the KT88] but according to the grapevine at the time, they had lost machinery, and the technical personnel that knew how to do certain processes that were key to making certain types of valves, hence their demise, its a shame because if they had persevered,
    I am sure they could have sorted the issues. EAT [Apparently] purchased all the stock they produced, and re-branded them up, but also [again apparently] cryo treated them, I still have about half a dozen of the valve with the original Tesla logo on.
    I dealt with Jozefina in the very beginning, and even promoted the EAT KT88 in my own equipment, there was also talk of me becoming the UK distributor, but the amount of stock I would have had to purchase was too much to take on at the time, so it was later offered to Absolute Sounds, and the rest as they say is history.
    Even early on, I would have to reject at least 10% of the stock I was sent due to heater to cathode insulation issues, and eventually, I stopped stocking them all together, due to this.
    I then Went back to using my second all time favourite, the original Svetlana Winged C, although it didn’t have all the magic of the EAT, it was a much more reliable valve.
    Sadly now the original winged C's are no more.
    Anthony,TD...
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 13-08-2016 at 18:13.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Justin.

No reply thus far from Jozefina regarding the EAT 300B. Virtually nowhere seems to sell them.

I'm Slav.

I wouldn't spend on power tubes more than £300-400 , you would be better off investing in signal tubes .
    I've tried famous GEC and yes they're good but not worth paying double/triple/quadruple standard KT88 price , especially if you don't have a tester to check what they like.
    If your amp takes 6550 you should try Svetlana 6550 , could be found in US for £300 , KT88 of said manufacturer is not but idea neither.
    I don't think anyone mentioned Chinese valves , some are really good and reliable when sourced from a proper dealer ,
    I have used 3 quads if Shuguang Black Treasure KT88 , had trouble only once when bought on Ebay from guy in Hong Kong, since then I used Grant Fidelity in Canada with no trouble , they cost $299 plus duty if you're unlucky.
    Last month I bought in UK Shuguang tubes with clear glass , they seem to have same internal built and sound good , didn't have time to compare with smoked glass as time is in limited supply.
    EAT tubes are really good but reliability is problematic , used them for a month or so till one fried one channel amplifier board , it set me back few hundred quid , I definitely won't go there anymore , they sounded really good though ��.
    Slav

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm turning my back on KT88's and will be upgrading my valve power amp next years to something KT120 based.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12