+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a Raspberry Pi do what I want?

I'm Alex.

Default Will a Raspberry Pi do what I want?

I think I finally want to try one of these little things, before I go ahead though would someone confirm it will do the following?

Stream Spotify
    Play music from a HD connected by wire (probably the method I will use)
    Play music from a HD connected wirelessly (just in case I choose this method)
    Be controlled by a remote device such as an iPad

Doubt it will make any difference but I intend to connect the Pi by USB to my Young M2Tech DAC.

I'm Alex.

Would a mod kindly add the missing 'I' in my title.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Why USB for the DAC connection?
    Going SPDIF will be a lot more predictable and dependable.
    The USB connection will always be dependent on having appropriate drivers, and if they're not written into the Distro you install you're pretty well screwed.

As for the rest your answer's likely to be yes on all counts.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Spotify, probably but may need a pc...i will leave that lol
    Will play via a usb connected hdd..i use a self powered hdd
    Wifi hdd...dunno but sure theres a way
    You can use ipad or android etc pc as well. Connects through a browser window
    Needs an ethernet connection. Either wired or through dongle wirelessly although ive never managed the latter being a dope , i use a ethernet cat 6 cable. Moode 2.6 is my current version, which seems to work seemlessly for me.

You get a number of radio stations pre installed with moode
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Why USB for the DAC connection?
    Going SPDIF will be a lot more predictable and dependable.
    The USB connection will always be dependent on having appropriate drivers, and if they're not written into the Distro you install you're pretty well screwed.

As for the rest your answer's likely to be yes on all counts.
    I think my DAC sounds better through the USB connection.
    Predictable and dependable why? I've never had a problem.
    I have no idea what a Distro is.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I think my DAC sounds better through the USB connection.
    Predictable and dependable why? I've never had a problem.
    Just because it works with whatever computer you already have is neither here nor there.
    M2Tech go to great lengths to ensure that their product has compatibility with Windows computers and Mac OS machines.
    Whatever you end up installing on your Pi falls into neither category.

I have no idea what a Distro is.
    It's what you'll need to install on the Pi to make it work.
    Otherwise called an operating system of some sort.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

OK, I think I'm learning. So the drivers I install on my MacBook to enable it to connect to the DAC may not be available, or work properly with the Pi? To ensure correct function I need to use SPDIF, which in my experience doesn't sound as good as the USB input. Maybe the Pi isn't for me?

I'm rupert.

you'll need to install player software. I recommend moode to start off with.. You'll need to install it on a SD card on the Raspberry Pi (instructions on the website)

Stream Spotify -
    Yes, with Airplay activated in moode

Play music from a HD connected by wire (probably the method I will use) -
    yes, via "source" settings in moode

Play music from a HD connected wirelessly (just in case I choose this method) -
    yes same as above

Be controlled by a remote device such as an iPad -
    yes. For Spotify listening, use Airplay on your ipad. For music from other "sources", use mood's web interface (a bit clunky imho)

Doubt it will make any difference but I intend to connect the Pi by USB to my Young M2Tech DAC
    check out the moodeaudio.org web page --> "player fixes" or ask on the forums --> "forum support". Some high speed USB DAC's have problems but it should be fixable.

hope this helps a bit ;-)

I'm rupert.

OK, I think I'm learning. So the drivers I install on my MacBook to enable it to connect to the DAC may not be available, or work properly with the Pi? To ensure correct function I need to use SPDIF, which in my experience doesn't sound as good as the USB input. Maybe the Pi isn't for me?
    As stated above, most USB DAC's work with moode / Pi... you could also invest a little more and piggyback a very good DAC on the Pi, like this one for instance and free up your Young DAC for other duties. It uses the direct I2s link on the Pi to get its data. There is a little video in english on the page if you're willing to sit through it ;-)

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-da...s-p-10657.html

I'm Grant.

I use an audiophonics myself, but used to have an iq audio one too. They are really good. Think Marco is using the iq audio
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast