+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Croft Series 4PP Preamp

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Default Croft Series 4PP Preamp

My clear-out of 'life-laundry' continues slowly.. I have a fair bit of 'stuff' that I just don't need to carry around any more and I admit it's time to begin to move things on to an appreciative audience.

I'm offering my Croft 4PP preamp, which I understand to be the forerunner of the current 25'R' model. I bought it from the original owner several years ago and Glenn made some excellent suggestions in updating it to current spec as regards power supply caps and line inputs. This one was a big step up from the SMA4 I remember and had far more substantial power supplies. It was more like the two-box Mega Micro in basic design, although this latter used Octal based valves and even more sophisticated supplies.

The sound is basically honest with just a gentle hint of sweetness to show the valves inside, lacking the overt softness and slight 'hash' of previous Croft preamps. Unlike the AVI preamp I sold recently, this one definitely prefers shorter interconnects of a metre or two to the power amp. I'd dare to say the bass may well be better than current Croft 25 and 25R models, but I admit I haven't directly compared them. The mid and hf is a step above the Micro Basic though, which sounds rather scrappy in comparison I remember.

This particular preamp has had all the valves replaced from power supply to output stage (audio valves are CV equivalents), the intention being to make the sound as clear, dynamic and uncoloured as possible. I think it does this beautifully and it's playing now into my Crown power amps (25k input impedance) via 1.2m MG HD1000 phono to jack (I also used Klotz MC5000 and it easily shows the slight differences between the two), just to give you an idea.

I'm looking for £375, which I hope is a fair price for a classic design that Glenn can easily take to the next level if you wanted.

Last edited by DSJR; 27-07-2016 at 22:29.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm bob.

Very pretty!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

This is a rare model and it has provenance. I discovered I'd bought it from the its first owner in 2007 and it genuinely hasn't had many hours in my care, certainly not with the new valves I fitted a while ago*. The NVA amps don't want or need an active line stage as it's basically built in to their power amps and the Crowns and HH have their own 'passive' input gain pots too. I must confess that I have other clutter that gets used daily and the Croft was part of a collection which I can't keep any longer as I'm a hoarder and not used to selling things on. Such a shame for it to linger on the side-lines when it's so much better than this. It sounded delightful this afternoon.

* Phono valves are CV4004 (ECC83 equivalents) and the two line valves are JAN 5841A (Sylvania I think). There's a Mullard ECC83 in the trio of supply valves and the regulator was also replaced when the others were done. I swear they don't have a hundred hours on them.

I'm David.

BUMP!

This really is a far better sounding and significantly better preamp than a Micro Basic, where Glenn took as much out as he could to get costs down.

The casework is better than the pics make out and just needed a clean-up.

I'm Kevin.

It seems like a bargain to me. It's just a pity I don't need another preamp.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm chris.

PM sent --- cheers David

I'm David.

Provisionally sold and with many thanks

Payment received with thanks - I look forward to delivering it next week

I'm chris.

Thanks to Dave for delivering a lovely piece of kit ...... as with all Crofts it's not the greatest looker but it sounds really very nice indeed --- using it with a Quad 99 power and newly bought ANJ/B's ....... sounding bloody great ----- tks Dave !

+ Reply to Thread