+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Granite

I'm ChrisB.

Slate varies quite a bit from area to area because of the different parent rocks it's formed from - it's from sediment laid down by water (it's highly squished silt).

So, what about Slate with a high quartz content - does this behave more like granite? It would certainly be harder.

Also, I wonder what effect grain orientation would have? Does a piece that's cross-cut sound the same as a bit that's cut along the grain (assuming it could remain intact without falling into lots of little bits).

I suppose the ringing of granite could be reduced with some crafty part way through cutting.

I'm Steve.

I'm also sold on granite platforms but I find that what goes under them is equally as important as the material. The Vertex platforms use granite with layers of different materials on the base to give a 'vibration maze' and a varied frequency exit path underneath to stop vibrations bouncing back out and up into the component. I found that RDC cones under the granite platform were essential to maintain a relaxed presentation and enhanced the benefits of granite considerably. Compliant options didn't work, probably didn't transmit energy. Granite directly onto the wall mounted racks, with or without Blutack wasn't best either.

I've spent far too long trying different shelf materials like bonded glass, trying different supports like inflatable tubes, spikes, etc. Now I'm comfortable that I can't get the support any better on a DIY basis. Well, maybe I could but it doesn't sound like I need to; frequency range seems balanced, presentation flows effortlessly and imaging is completely out of the speakers and these are my priorities.

I use 2 x RDC2 cones combined with 1 custom made hard spike under each component, then a 25mm granite platform sitting on 3 x RDC2 cones. These then sit on the glass shelves of the rack, but I haven't found that this layer has much effect when I've tried wood or another granite shelf in it's place, so the glass stays - only to wind up the cleaning wench, as it makes such a wonderful visible dust trap!
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Nobody.

Conglomerate marble could be a different effect is made from large pieces of marble compacted together with a resin.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    the glass stays - only to wind up the cleaning wench, as it makes such a wonderful visible dust trap!
    Now now Valerie, don't be so hard on him!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Now now Valerie, don't be so hard on him!
    Very good Alex, I didn't see that one coming.

Actually she's banned from cleaning anywhere within 3 feet of the system since flitting around with one of those fluffy sticks when the amp was on and melting nylon to the bloody tubes!

She did subsequently redeem herself by stating "get that MP3 shite off, it sounds lifeless". And "What are we getting next?"

I'm trying to get her to write a post about women and the Hi Fi addiction but it's got as far as the basic premise that "music and chatter are mutually exclusive"!
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Asda chopping board stuck on blue tack under my Micromega duo3 thats sits on Nordost pulsar points

I would like to cover the whole of my dresser in granite so everything sits nice and flat with some sort of isolation
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm notAlone.

I feel lonely being the one (it seems) who never puts its bits on some spikes or marble stands...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Asda chopping board stuck on blue tack under my Micromega duo3 thats sits on Nordost pulsar points

I would like to cover the whole of my dresser in granite so everything sits nice and flat with some sort of isolation
    The matching Micromega DAC is on E-Bay at the mo Jonboy

If you knew how much these custom granite shelves were i bought you'd die.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post

There you go granite and Micromega....

Nice clock (Clocks?) Jon, do you collect them?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The matching Micromega DAC is on E-Bay at the mo Jonboy

If you knew how much these custom granite shelves were i bought you'd die.
    Not the tenner i paid then

Do you mean like this one Andre

Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast