+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Granite

I'm Nobody.

Default Granite

I'm holding no claims of improved sound but i decided to get rid of the ugly glass shelf i had on the wall for some nice Granite, just looks nicer that's all.I've got a couple for under the speakers aswell..

Thought i'd show you. Doesnt cost the earth as most maunufacturers would have you believe.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Looks good!

Sainsbury's do a nice granite "worktop saver" for a tenner that I keep thinking about getting, which would be about the right size for normal components, and I've got a Tesco granite placemat under my Caiman!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Looks good!

Sainsbury's do a nice granite "worktop saver" for a tenner that I keep thinking about getting, which would be about the right size for normal components, and I've got a Tesco granite placemat under my Caiman!
    Yes but the beveled edges are usually poor..A hell of a lot who provide Granite/marble are hand edged. The Edging/polishing etc on those platforms are done with one of these

http://www.comandulli.it/web_eng/mar..._micro=4&id=13
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 24-11-2009 at 15:31.

I'm Neil.

Granite or Slate as a material under some kit is beneficial to sound quality. Interestingly Micromega was one of the first companies to recommend using it under there top-loading CD players such as the CDF1 DUO and the TRIO. If I remember right (?) I think the Trio used granite in one part and energy sinking spikes to remove any excess vibration. The ART 1 CD player uses granite in its base and an American company called Barclay made CD players with Granite and Corian as a main part of the case work.

I use granite under my Oracle Delhi turntable and upstairs as supports for my speakers stands, both to raise them to the correct height and to prevent bass bleed through the floor to the room below (living room). Works well for both applications. Looks nice as well.

However from a structural point of view, in regard to vibration transmission slate is better as its more dense.

Couple of the forums members have used slate as plinth material for turntables and Twelvebears (hes not been around much recently? I think) have made entire speaker cabinets from slate. Hard to work though, to get a good finish, especially around the edges.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 24-11-2009 at 14:56.
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

I use granite under my Oracle Delhi turntable and upstairs as supports for my speakers stands, both to raise them to the correct height and to prevent bass bleed through the floor to the room below (living room). Works well for both applications. Looks nice as well.
    The Oracle turntable, Neil - is this a model for export to India only?!

I've had mixed results with granite-I found it good under almost everything except my speakers. I saw Andre's cones there - I found downward pointing cones better than upward every time.

However from a structural point of view, in regard to vibration transmission slate is better as its more dense
    I'm suprised that a laminated structure would transmit any vibrations better than a crystalline one, I'd have thought that vibrations would travel across the thickness of the slab (up or down) till they hit an area of coarse grain - i.e. where there was another layer - then divert at 90 degrees towards the edge. Of course, this may or may not be a good thing - I don't know, I've never tried to explain the theory of any of these things, I just like the effect of granite

I'm also suprised that slate is more dense than granite - is this correct?
    Edit: - I just checked on Simetric's website - http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm
    It says they are both 2691 kg/m3 but I'd expect some variation & more so in slate than granite
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 24-11-2009 at 15:27.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I saw Andre's cones there - I found downward pointing cones better than upward every time.
    The upward firing cones arnt there now, i took that pic a few days ago.I now have small ones firing down like under the amp.

I'm Neil.

No thats whats called a typo its a Delphi.

I've had mixed results with granite-I found it good under almost everything except my speakers. I saw Andre's cones there - I found downward pointing cones better than upward every time.
    I would agree with that.

I'm suprised that a laminated structure would transmit any vibrations better than a crystalline one, I'd have thought that vibrations would travel across the thickness of the slab (up or down) till they hit an area of coarse grain - i.e. where there was another layer - then divert at 90 degrees towards the edge. Of course, this may or may not be a good thing - I don't know, I've never tried to explain the theory of any of these things, I just like the effect of granite
    Sorry I explained that wrong, its better at not transmitting vibration as well as granite.

I'm also suprised that slate is more dense than granite - is this correct?
    Edit: - I just checked on Simetric's website - http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm
    It says they are both 2691 kg/m3 but I'd expect some variation & more so in slate than granite
    Interesting.....

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nobody.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Couple of the forums members have used slate as plinth material for turntables and Twelvebears (hes not been around much recently? I think) have made entire speaker cabinets from slate. Hard to work though, to get a good finish, especially around the edges.
    Hellooo, it's me!

Still around but have just been very busy working on the new house and also spending a bit of time sorting out my media centre arrangements.

Neil's right, slate is a cracking material for audio type applications because it's layered structure makes it less prone to ringing that granite. Down sides are that it's a lot softer that granite so will mark more easily if you're not careful.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Hellooo, it's me!

Still around but have just been very busy working on the new house and also spending a bit of time sorting out my media centre arrangements.

Neil's right, slate is a cracking material for audio type applications because it's layered structure makes it less prone to ringing that granite. Down sides are that it's a lot softer that granite so will mark more easily if you're not careful.
    Nice to have you back... I noticed your absence. Everything going well I hope.

Yes thats it ! It does not ring like Granite..... Errrr...my brain was, who knows where yesterday ? Marble is also worse than Granite from a ringing point of view + it stains very easily too.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast