+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What streamer software do you use?

I'm Grant.

At moment I just stream from my Hdd. was considering another service in future though. Not really sure I would get my money's worth out of it as I now use cd and vinyl mostly and have a biggish library. Going to keep it in mind though and maybe take the free trial along with a tidal one. Need to wait finances improving though as I spent a lot lately on the speakers and got the car to get through another mot. I should get it for nowt after all these years lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
    Does Roon replace LMS or integrate with it?
    It replaces it, like LMS on steroids. Not free though but (to me) very much worth it.
    Early version didn't do internet radio latest one does.

The Discover feature in Roon is becoming a favourite feature for me, presents a selection of Artists, genres, particular musicians or even record labels from your collection and lets you browse.
    Rediscovered a lot of stuff I forgot I had this way.
    * They do a 14 day free trial, check it out.

Had a try playing directly from a usb stick into the Oppo to the Dac?
    Quite impressed sound wise ctually, though the interface is a bit cack.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-07-2016 at 17:33.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I never left the Squeezebox fold.
    It just works.
    When I get around to playing with a Pi player it will be so that it runs on LMS.

Roon looks interesting, but addressing LMS via a web browser has a much more acceptable price tag (ie nothing).
    Roon does appear to give a similar visual experience to the system Meridian used to make such a big deal about. Are the same developers involved?
    The same Team Chris aye.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The discovery thing Meridian had left an impression on me - it was well thought out.
    Ultimately it depends on how well the software collates information, and more to the point, how much information there is on t'interweb about a certain artist, and how good that information is.

Here's one that might be interesting ....
    Who worked with Hiromi, and also Steely Dan, Madonna, and John Scofield?
    Does that kind of association come up?

On a similar vein, Scorpions, Judie Tzuke, and Jeff Beck?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

J River 17 on one laptop, J River 18 on another.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

I used to use J River, but find myself using a lot of TIDAL for music, Netflx / Amazon / iPlayer for video. I use a Windows silent PC into my TV with a wireless keyboard & mouse.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Richard.

Another Roon user here.
    Before Roon I used MinimServer too and I really liked it. Very configurable and you could have it sort your music exactly as you wanted it presented. It was also very light and efficient. Used my phone as a remote for selecting tunes and it never crashed or got annoying.

Roon was a big jump though. Yes, there's a hefty price tag to it, but I'd seriously recommend just trying the 14-day trial. They did an offer on lifetime subscriptions last year and I went for it and haven't looked back. I can't imagine using anything else now. I have 3 Raspberry Pis in 3 rooms and Roon is my central point for playing all of the music on my NAS, my Tidal subscription (and the interface for Tidal via Roon is far better than Tidal's own) or internet radio. It's absolutely seamless, very reliable, looks fantastic, it's a joy to use and yes, it's just like the Meridian Sooloos interface (same developers - Roon is a spin off of Sooloos).

The development is coming on in leaps and bounds too and they're very open to feature requests and very responsive to bug reports.
    Rich

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Just how good is the Roon database?
    Does it give supporting musicians, and if you clicked on one of those musicians does it link to other projects participated in?

For example, if you have the album "Elegant Gypsy" by Al Di Meola in your collection, you'll find a phenomenal musician playing bass, namely one Anthony Jackson.
    If he's listed, and you click on his name, do you get a comprehensive list of other artists and albums he's played with?

What I'm interested in is whether you get proper sleeve notes and other associated artists.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Richard.

For the largest part of my collection, yes you do - All musicians involved with clickable links to take you to their own page, their own releases and credits in other albums and if you've got a Tidal account then you can just go straight ahead and listen to whatever they have on there. I also love the fact that I can search by recording engineers and producers and get full lists of their stuff.

Sleeve notes though, no. At least not as yet. It's on the development roadmap but the sticking point seems to be in finding a data provider and the licensing that goes with it. The next step is having the ability to display the PDF liner notes that come with a lot of downloads.
    Rich

I'm Gary.

Sure does Chris.
    When playing an album you get the usual Now Playing info, but additionally theres a "credits" Tab which lists all the guys playing on the album....
    ...as well as Mastering Engineers, Producers, all of those guys.

Each name a clickable link to information about them, who,what,when, who they collaborated with....you name it.
    If the album or artist is in your collection...yup, hyperlink to that too.

Ive 5000ish albums and Id say theres metadata easily for 90odd percent of it and the Roon guys are constantly improving it.
    Can only get better and its only on V1.2

Its very very cool Chris, check it out.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast