+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The TC-7535 Caiman SEG at a glance.

I'm Rob.

OK a follow-up on my experience of the SEG so far.

I purchased and just received one of the cheap Chinese linear power supplies (as per the link provided by Stan in an earlier posting in this thread) - 15V as per Stan's recommendation. Sound quality from the SEG is quite extraordinary. It's so damned detailed and yet relaxed sounding with even the most complex music thrown at it.

My advice - don't hesitate, just get an SEG!

I think I'll now get a 5V version of the PSU for the Raspberry Pi - it's a pain having it powered by the Anker power bank.

One question for Stan (or others who may wish to chip in): do you think an SBooster would add further benefit?
    https://markgrant.co.uk/sboosters/22...er&results=128

Also, does anyone know if the SBooster supports 15V? Is it a "one size fits all" device or do you have to specify a voltage when ordering?
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Mark.

Hello Rob,

I have added more details to my website.

The Sbooster filters can be used at any voltage up to the maximum current rating, Stanleys new DAC uses hardly any power so you will be OK for sure.

How are you getting on with your Caiman SEG Mark? I'll be interested in your findings with your various leads and the recent 15V power supply for the Caiman on your website. I am having extremely good results with the older 15V power supply in my main living room setup.

I'm Alan.

My Caiman SEG arrived yesterday and today I got round to plugging it in. It has replaced my fully modded Caiman MkII which I thought was very good, plays tunes wonderfully, makes your foot tap etc, etc.

So in went the SEG on a linear 12 volt power-supply - no running in before a listen - plays tunes wonderfully, makes your foot tap (a lot - in fear of it dropping off!), vista opens up, complex tunes handled easily, the clarity just opens another window on all parts of the music.

I have turned the volume down and gone into the next room to type in my impressions - even at this level my head is rocking from side to side listening to a Rachmaninov Piano Sonata.

The SEG is running as a DAC at the moment but at some point over the weekend I will run it as a preamp directly into some power amps and post my impressions. I will do the same when I get a 15 volt power supply up and running.

Stan - a Masterpiece!
    Last edited by sondale; 06-08-2016 at 14:51. Reason: missing words
    Alan.

I'm Gareth.

Ordered one of these and it arrived yesterday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1120435125...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Although the pictures indicated the chassis is earthed my one isn't , so pls beware, all is not as it seems. The output voltage also needed adjusting to bring it closer to the 15V I requested.

Overall I'm satisfied but irritated by the inconsistency of service.

EDIT: Was thinking of purchasing a second one to power a RPI3 but after this experience I'm not so sure.

I'm Jerry.

Are these cheap linear supplies any better than a battery? A decent UK spec one would be in the £200 + region.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

The cheap one is good enough for me for headphone duties. However, for the main hifi I am using the latest 15V one from Mark Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post

Although the pictures indicated the chassis is earthed my one isn't , so pls beware, all is not as it seems. The output voltage also needed adjusting to bring it closer to the 15V I requested.
    You could send them a message via eBay to let them know that you received the wrong item. Send them some pictures of the unearthed one versus what is shown on ebay. Many of these Chinese sellers do not want any bad feedback.

I'm Rob.

I must confess I didn't check mine for earthing - must do that. If it isn't earthed, presumably it's something that I can do? Any details welcome.

I added an SBooster between the PSU and SEG - not sure if it's helped, but I reckoned a "belt and braces" approach wouldn't do any harm.

My PSU tends to read out 15.1V on its display. Is it possible to trim that back?

Waiting now for my 5V supply for the RPi.
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post

That's a different link to the one Stan provided - his was on ebay.com: I ordered mine via that link without any problem.

I'll take a look inside soon to verify if it's earthed as per the picture on eBay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast