+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The TC-7535 Caiman SEG at a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Will my HD-Plex Linear PSU run the SEG ok, it outputs 12v on one of the connections?

I'm hoping this would be fine and that it would be an improvement on a basic wallwart.
    It will work with the SEG, but I can't find any noise figures of it at 12V. But there is no need to buy a basic wallwart. The SEG is shipped with a very good power supply as well.

I'm yigit.

Is caiman and seg same size ? Both shows the same specifications on the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by coolblue View Post
    Is caiman and seg same size ? Both shows the same specifications on the web site.
    Yes they are the same size and have the same number of inputs and bitrate/sampling frequency support. So the SEG is a straight swap over for the Caiman in your hifi rack without any additional wiring or location requirements.

I'm yigit.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Yes they are the same size and have the same number of inputs and bitrate/sampling frequency support. So the SEG is a straight swap over for the Caiman in your hifi rack without any additional wiring or location requirements.
    Thank you Stan.

I'm Tim.

Is the headphone section of SEG more powerful than the Caiman MKII? I have HD800s and the Camain II works, really needs an amp tho.

USB DDC is different now? Still need ASync-1 for higher bit-rate files?

Quote Originally Posted by mrboonmee View Post
    Is the headphone section of SEG more powerful than the Caiman MKII? I have HD800s and the Camain II works, really needs an amp tho.

USB DDC is different now? Still need ASync-1 for higher bit-rate files?
    The headphone gain on the SEG is adjustable. So you can increase it to taste. Scan from the beginning of this thread to see a picture of my SEG and my HD800 in use together. But neither the MKII or the SEG were designed to be headphone amplifiers. The headphone section is for low to medium levels of volume output. High volume output duty is reserved for my Capella headphone amp.
    You don't need async-1 for higher bitrate files. It is quite possible to play those files with
    the MKII and the SEG if you follow the info in the manual. The Caiman Firmware has its own USB handling software so that you don't to install any special drivers in Windows, MAC OS, or linux.

I'm Rob.

This is an initial assessment of the SEG that I received last Friday (thanks, Stan, for the prompt service!). By the way, what does SEG stand for?

After running it in over the weekend, I got a chance to power it up using my Anker power bank. Just a word on my set-up:

- streaming from my iTunes library is via a Raspberry Pi 2 + HiFiBerry Digi+ (the model with galvanic isolation), running Moode 2.6 (battery powered by the Anker)
    - this feeds the SEG via co-ax connection and TosLink - I tend to use the co-ax though difficult to say that there's any audible difference
    - the SEG feeds into a Naim NAP 100 power amp which, in turn, powers PMC TB2i speakers

Suffice to say the sound is amazing. Crystal clear, all manner of nuances within the music are clearly audible. Cymbals have a feathery delicacy and realism I've not heard through the system before. Bass - well, it has to be heard. Deep, powerful but controlled. Try out Hans Zimmer's soundtrack to Interstallar, or Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" - I didn't think the PMCs could go that low :-)

I'm awaiting linear power supplies for the SEG and Pi, but in the meantime, this is definitely the best my set-up has sounded. If you want to hear what Pi + Moode can do, feed it into the SEG!

Now, what to do with my redundant Caiman II? :-)

Anyway, I thoroughly recommend the SEG. Congratulations, Stan, on another piece of magic at a very reasonable price. Hard to imagine this can be bettered, but knowing Stan, he's already working on it!

Rob
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm yigit.

I am planning to add Capella to my system as preamp to my roksan m1 power amp. I also have a radio, cassette and vinyl player too. So I'll use TC-7240 in between. I have the regular caiman mk2. My question is, should I switch to caiman seg or should I upgrade my caiman to GFU as I will just use their dac output only?

Quote Originally Posted by coolblue View Post
    I am planning to add Capella to my system as preamp to my roksan m1 power amp. I also have a radio, cassette and vinyl player too. So I'll use TC-7240 in between. I have the regular caiman mk2. My question is, should I switch to caiman seg or should I upgrade my caiman to GFU as I will just use their dac output only?
    I would just fit the GFU mod and use the Capella if you are more into headphone listening. The SEG has a headphone socket just like the MKII, but the output level is not the same as what the Capella is capable of.

I'm yigit.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I would just fit the GFU mod and use the Capella if you are more into headphone listening. The SEG has a headphone socket just like the MKII, but the output level is not the same as what the Capella is capable of.
    How is the pre section of SEG different from the Capella. If they are the same then I'll definitely do the GFU mod first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast