+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The TC-7535 Caiman SEG at a glance.

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Thanks Jon, I suppose another box sitting on the hifi stack wouldn't go a miss!

You can find a place for it somewhere on the rack

jon

I'm Adam.

Anyone compared the SEG headphone stage against a Capella?

Just wondering as I currently run the Caiman II and a Capella - maybe the SEG could replace them?
    Adam.

The Capella has a lot more setting up options to get the best out of most headphones. So you would be sacrificing that. But that's the only downside. Sound level and presentation wise you won't be subject to any compromise.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The Capella has a lot more setting up options to get the best out of most headphones. So you would be sacrificing that. But that's the only downside. Sound level and presentation wise you won't be subject to any compromise.
    Thanks Stan
    Adam.

I'm Stephen.

My SEG arrived today and installed. Running it on the external battery while awaiting linear PSU to arrive. Only had a Jan Garbarek CD in so far but already I can detect more refinement, detail and clarity. I think dynamics and instrument separation are also better (?lower noise). It certainly sounds to my ears like yet another step change in SQ from Stan's stable.
    More to follow after "burn in" period and extended listening with different genres/sources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    My SEG arrived today and installed. Running it on the external battery while awaiting linear PSU to arrive. Only had a Jan Garbarek CD in so far but already I can detect more refinement, detail and clarity. I think dynamics and instrument separation are also better (?lower noise). It certainly sounds to my ears like yet another step change in SQ from Stan's stable.
    More to follow after "burn in" period and extended listening with different genres/sources

I'd have to agree with all of that. This is better than the Caiman II
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mathew.

Anyone thinking the SEG is a big step up, can I ask;

Are you using fixed output or as preamp / headphones?
    Do you have the GFU upgrade on the Caiman II?

Cheers.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewf View Post
    Anyone thinking the SEG is a big step up, can I ask;

Are you using fixed output or as preamp / headphones?
    Do you have the GFU upgrade on the Caiman II?

Cheers.
    So far I've only used as fixed output into my Crofts and yes my Caiman II had the full GFU and venom upgrade and the SEG is way better already

Always a little further

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I think dynamics and instrument separation are also better (?lower noise).
    These were actually part of the design objectives. I used a standard double layer PCB before on the Bushmaster and the Caiman MKII. But as I wanted to add a pre-amp section in the SEG, I would have to use a more expensive multi layer PCB to keep the signal, ground, and power supply lines separate. In the end I ended up using separate ground planes as well for the left and right channels. That kind of design layout is more often found in the high-end stuff because of the increase in complexity in the layout, which ends up as a bigger board in a bigger case. But that design method can produce a lower noise floor, better signal headroom, and better signal separation. I managed to cut a lot of the cost down by using a multi layer PCB design instead. But the end results were worth the relatively small cost increase. These kind of differences are often given a massive price hike by some companies. But I am merely charging the additional costs of the parts and manufacturing for what is quite a big step up in performance.

I'm Lee.

Default Reality creation machine!

I received my Caiman SEG yesterday. I'm in the strange position now of having both the Caiman II with all the latest upgrades installed by Stan very recently and the now the new Caiman SEG. I was a bit hesitant to order the SEG, since I had just upgraded my two Caiman IIs. Well, I had no need to worry. The SEG is one magnificent piece of audio kit. The emotion it conveys through my system is something that has to be heard to believed.

When I last wrote my impressions of the Caiman II, I honestly didn't think there would be much if any room for improvement. I was wrong. Dead wrong. As great as the Caiman II with the upgrades installed is, the Caiman SEG is in a completely different league..... Revealing, smooth, dynamic, articulate .... top to bottom. Strings, horns, drums, both high and low; piano, percussive and reverberations, room ambiance, sound effects, both dramatic and subtle; and voices anchored in space, articulate, present in the room. All of these could be said of the Caiman II, but the SEG just does it so much more effortlessly, elegantly, emotionally.

Anyone, everyone who loves GREAT sound, both music and soundtracks, should do themselves a favor and order one now. If there is any justice in the audio world, Stan should be selling these by the truck load!

Also, I'm using the preamp function directly to my power amps (Four Pass Amp Camps, bi-amped to my Hornshoppe / Heil AMT speakers. I have a very good separate preamp (Hornshoppe Truth), but now there is no need for it. The sound directly from Stan's DAC using the preamp function is absolutely top notch. And the sound into my Grado GS1000's is as well. I'm a very happy man!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast