+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The TC-7535 Caiman SEG at a glance.

I'm Andy.

There are several versions of the Caiman mk2. Mine started as the mk2 SFW3 (iirc) then was upgraded to the mk2 GFU. The SEG came along after that. Do try and keep up

If yours is pre-SFW3 then I've not heard it and can't compare them, but it'll be several generations out of date now rather than just one.

I'm Alex.

I am debating on whether I should get an SEG. My current Caiman 2 GFU (all mods) with 15V Linear power supply has performed admirably as a DAC and I am curious as to any sonic improvements that the SEG has to offer if used only as a DAC. Other DAC options will unfortunately be quite expensive (e.g Metrum NOS Musette, Schiit multi-bit Gungnir).

Quote Originally Posted by maxrob200 View Post
    I am debating on whether I should get an SEG. My current Caiman 2 GFU (all mods) with 15V Linear power supply has performed admirably as a DAC and I am curious as to any sonic improvements that the SEG has to offer if used only as a DAC. Other DAC options will unfortunately be quite expensive (e.g Metrum NOS Musette, Schiit multi-bit Gungnir).
    Since you won't have to order another 15V power supply the DAC only cost to you would be very small. And with the tumbling of the £ against the U$ by about 15% the SEG now works out far cheaper than the MKII in U$ terms. PM me if you have any outstanding questions.

I'm Tony.

I'm thinking of getting one of these to use with a bog standard Squeezebox Touch.

I read a bit about power supplies and wondered if there are any suggestions that would be worth pursuing to get the best out of both the SEG and the Touch.

Would I need separate PS for each to get the best sound and lowest noise floor?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

The Touch needs 5V. The SEG will work with 12V or 15V. So you don't want to accidentally plug 12V or 15V into the Touch.
    There are sellers, and even at least one user on AoS, who use one of those twin output power supplies that can have 5V on one end, and 15V on the other. So that would be an option.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one of these to use with a bog standard Squeezebox Touch.

I read a bit about power supplies and wondered if there are any suggestions that would be worth pursuing to get the best out of both the SEG and the Touch.

Would I need separate PS for each to get the best sound and lowest noise floor?
    ...I use this successfully with my Touch / SEG :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-way-line...cAAOxy4YdTT-fq

...because the 5V LED display is to 2 decimal places it tends to drift from 5.00 a bit (adjustment brings it back in line). The 15.0v for the SEG tends to stay rock solid at 15.0v. All sounds good to me - depends how OCD you are about the 5v displaying as 5.00v.
    Adam.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    ...I use this successfully with my Touch / SEG :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-way-line...cAAOxy4YdTT-fq

...because the 5V LED display is to 2 decimal places it tends to drift from 5.00 a bit (adjustment brings it back in line). The 15.0v for the SEG tends to stay rock solid at 15.0v. All sounds good to me - depends how OCD you are about the 5v displaying as 5.00v.
    Thanks Adam, would you say its worthwhile over stock PS?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Richard.

IMG_0229.jpgIMG_0228.jpg[/ATTACH]I'm in the same boat as many others here. I have had 3 of Stan's excellent DACs (I now have 2). In the main system is a Caiman2 with a a cheapie dual-voltage linear PS (one to drive the DAC, the other to a Raspberry Pi); it works well and since I upgraded my CD player to a Cambridge CXC the SQ is demonstrably better. There's obviously a limit to 'upgrade-itis' but I do wonder if a SEG would be even better. If I did get one it would free-up my underused headphone amp. (Yes, I know Stan has an excellent try-before-you-finally-buy policy). If the next generation of Stan's DACs would have an extra input AND a remote then.....!

Just musing...
    Last edited by Bonky; 22-05-2017 at 20:58.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    I'm unusually late coming in for one of these, please tell me how much better it is than the Caiman 2 that I currently have? ��
    I have the Caiman 2 GFU, and recently purchased a SEG (about 40 hours use so far), both powered by an Anker battery.
    Used as a DAC only fed by my Cambridge CXC cd transport.

The differences I have heard so far are a more defined & deeper bass, and better texture (tone ?) & air around drums & lead guitars. These differences are not night & day, but were immediately noticeable.

Having heard these differences, I would say that the SEG is a step up from the GFU, but I will be keeping the GFU for my bedroom system, as it is still IMHO a very good DAC.

Hope this helps ?

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    I recently purchased three of the cheapest USB sticks from Currys, stripped out the Tidal vouchers and resold the sticks on eBay. Nine months Tidal for around £10. Just cancel before the 3mth trial expires, then signup with a different email address. Repeat until offer ends 31/12/17.
    Thanks for the heads us, just bought three of these from my local Currys

Oh and I also pulled the trigger on the SEG and one of those dodgy ebay LPS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast