+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Croft Power 7 or ... ?

I'm notAlone.

Default A Croft Power 7 or ... ?

Hi all,

so, as my Cyrus 8 is on repair, I started thinking about getting a new power amplifier.
    I know that the most obvious solution would be a Croft series 7 power to match the actual Micro pre...

... but, perhaps some of you could have another idea ?

The budget is £1000, the preamplifier is the Croft Basic 25 pre and the speakers are Sonus Faber GPD (3way-4drivers-90dB)

Thank you for your insight.

Attached is my speakers' freq/impedance curve (very easy, as you can see).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Dave.

The Croft Seven is a no-brainer and you'll have some money left over but then I'm bound to say that.....

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Croft Seven is a no-brainer and you'll have some money left over but then I'm bound to say that.....
    That a 1200 would be perfect with it ?
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If you fancy valves,you could have one of the WD kits,ready built with money to spare,or for something a little different,how about a Transcendent Sound OTL kit? Several to choose from,and sound superb.Another good choice would be the Glasshouse 300b SE kit from Hi-Fi Collective.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

See if Glenn will swap the 25 basic for the pukka 25 preamp for a tiny consideration and use this with the Series 7!!! It'll sound even better

Sorted

Seriously, the preamp you have will do full justice to any half decent power amp out there - the Quad 909 would be another choice (a 606mk1 drives Sonus Fabers with no difficulty) that would be a "fit-and-forget" proposition - there was a 606mk2 on here only a day or two ago IIRC and that would leave you even more dosh available to race-tune it and get the 25R preamp...............

I'll get me coat..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I just thought - could a grand buy an old-but-good Radford STA25, Woodside or a Papworth or similar, or have the prices of these gone stupid?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Prices of vintage Radford went 'stupid' some time ago. I'm hanging on to my Radford pre, tuner and mono's to pay for my retirement.....

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    If you fancy valves,you could have one of the WD kits,ready built with money to spare,or for something a little different,how about a Transcendent Sound OTL kit? Several to choose from,and sound superb.Another good choice would be the Glasshouse 300b SE kit from Hi-Fi Collective.
    I'm really sorry but I'm no good with kits... Are they sold mounted ?
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    See if Glenn will swap the 25 basic for the pukka 25 preamp for a tiny consideration and use this with the Series 7!!! It'll sound even better

Sorted
    Yes, that sounds like a good idea !
    I'll have to gather all my courage, though... I'm rather shy, and it sounds difficult to tell Glenn to swap the pre... I'll think of it, it is indeed very interesting.

Seriously, the preamp you have will do full justice to any half decent power amp out there - the Quad 909 would be another choice (a 606mk1 drives Sonus Fabers with no difficulty) that would be a "fit-and-forget" proposition - there was a 606mk2 on here only a day or two ago IIRC and that would leave you even more dosh available to race-tune it and get the 25R preamp...............

I'll get me coat..
    A Quad 909 ? Do you think it's better than the Cyrus 8 ? (I haven't heard a 909 for a long time, mind you)
    A 25R ? Seriously ? Where can I get one ? (This sounds more like a remake of "Back to the Future" !!! )
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm notAlone.

I just thought - could a grand buy an old-but-good Radford STA25, Woodside or a Papworth or similar, or have the prices of these gone stupid?
    Saw a Woodside, still around $2000-$2500... forget it.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast