+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman Mods

I'm Gary.

hi Ade,
    no need to put off the upgrade in my opinion...I'm watching Sherlock Holmes on DVD through the Caiman just now and it sounds fantastic..

With music...no sign of the brightness others have spoke about here, all the top end stuff like cymbals, drum thwacks all sound very very clear with weight but smooth and not harsh in any way.
    What I'm loving the most is all the subtle stuff that's coming through..fantastic stuff.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

MartinT Guest

The micro-detail is really impressive, isn't it?

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

10uf 50v Elna SilmicII's (brown and gold sleeve ) are now fitted
    Can hear the difference straight away , so much for caps not making any difference
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Gary.

Where bouts did you fit 50v Elna's Leo?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Where bouts did you fit 50v Elna's Leo?

Out of all the caps around the dac chip the two here probably has biggest influence on sound http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...&postcount=459

I fitted the 10uf 50v shown in the above link, I also replaced the single electrolytic near the dac chip to a SilmicII and now the 220uf on the output of the 15v reg to a 220uf SilmicI

I'm just going to leave it for a few days to run in, after a day the upper mids and mid-range are much more colourful, a bit of a bloom added.
    May require some op-amp fiddling again , we'll see how it goes
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Gary.

it was the 50v that confused me Leo, I had thought the original rating for those caps was 10uf 16V?
    Obviously its working though!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

Ok Gaz,

Its on its way up West Linton now.

Jimmy sounded like he knew about the mod, so I just sent up my ELNA Simic Caps.

Is it worth getting him to change the resistor on the line-out to a 12k while hes at it as Stan mentioned? Did he do that on yours?

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    hi Ade,
    no need to put off the upgrade in my opinion...I'm watching Sherlock Holmes on DVD through the Caiman just now and it sounds fantastic..

With music...no sign of the brightness others have spoke about here, all the top end stuff like cymbals, drum thwacks all sound very very clear with weight but smooth and not harsh in any way.
    What I'm loving the most is all the subtle stuff that's coming through..fantastic stuff.

The 12K resistor mod is brand new. It is only recommended for power amp users who use the Caiman as a preamp. Integrated amps might have problems with the increased dynamic range.

Ok. Noted. Thanks Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The 12K resistor mod is brand new. It is only recommended for power amp users who use the Caiman as a preamp. Integrated amps might have problems with the increased dynamic range.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Hi Stan. How about people like my self that use a passive "preamp" between the Caiman and power amps to allow other analogue sources? Would you recommend the 12K resistor mod in that scenario?

Thanks.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast