+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman Mods

An update to the mods on my Caiman
    Still needs a little time to burn in though but there are some subtle improvements thus far.

I cannot believe how good my Caiman is now, it sounds absolutely sublime. I'm picking up more and more details and much improved imaging all the time.

Last edited by Carson; 28-03-2010 at 23:03.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

Carson,

Like you I've done the Voltage Regulators and the Rubycon. Interested to know what Elna Silmic II caps/value/voltage you put in which circuit locations. Please list them for us ?

Did you do all the mods in one go or did you burn-in and listen before adding the next mod. What did the Elna upgrades do by comparison the the Regulators/Rubycons

Frizzup

I have attached an edited version of my last photo, only this time with the values for the replaced capacitors and their locations.

The caps I used are all Elna Silmic II, and are 220uF 25v, 100uF 16v & 10uF 16v.
    The swap was pretty simple and straight forward. The only real complications were:
    • Ensuring electrolytic replacements for the tantalum capacitors (larger yellow ones around the DAC chip) were the right way around.
    • Ensuring the remaining 3 significantly larger replacement caps fitted nicely into the case and didn't poke out of the top.

The mods were performed as below, and in the following order:
    1. Rubycon Caps
    2. Murata Regs (About 3-4 months after Rubycon caps)
    3. Elna Silmic II Caps (About 1 1/2 months after Murata Regs)

The Elna caps have now had about 4 hrs of burn in time, though I noticed a different after just 1 hr of burn in.)

As for the improvements...I am not sure if it is me, but the Elna caps have made what I would consider a rather significant improvement in both details and depth of music.
    Even with my rather cheap Goldring DR150 headphones, I am picking up more and more details, recording echo's, minute string details on acoustic guitars, etc.

Honestly.....I think this has been a worthwhile upgrade
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

Top banana!

I'm getting more and more tempted... Where will the madness end!
    Tom
    AKG K701, TC-7520 HPA/DAC, Yamaha RX-V396RDS, Some awful speakers

I'm Jerry.

Oh no! I thought it would be a few months before we were discussing more mods. I won't be able to rest until I get this one done. It all too much......
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

MartinT Guest

I'm looking up Elna Silmics now...

Wow, this little mod of mine (can I claim this to be my idea ) has got more of a reaction that I thought.
    James

My System:

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

MartinT Guest

The thing is, James, some of us know what the regulator and coupling cap mods achieved and you've just given us the hunger for another step change like that. So thanks

Elnas now ordered.

Hi Martin,

Where did you order them from - quite tricky to find them.

Regards

Chris

MartinT Guest

I always get my quality components from Parts Connexion in Canada (including the rather nice Dexa regulators that I'm using in the Caiman):

http://www.partsconnexion.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast