+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960

Thread: Caiman Mods

I'm Bernie.

Hi,

I've finally worked up the courage to open my Caiman and replace the opamps. I took out both LM4562NA and replaced them with AD826. I noticed that the output volume at the amp (NAD C-372) was a lot quieter than with the 4562s. I was wondering if this was normal. With the original opamps I had to use attenuators (10db) so I had some movement in the volume control on the amp. I had to remove them for the AD826s.

Is this a normal situation as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere in this thread?

Now listening to the new opamps. Seems the bass is more consistent than it was with the originals. Sometimes it just didn't sound right.

Cheers.
    Bernie.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    I noticed that the output volume at the amp (NAD C-372) was a lot quieter than with the 4562s. I was wondering if this was normal.
    No, the op-amp gain is determined by the feedback loop not the op-amp itself. You shouldn't notice such a gain difference. Are you sure the AD826 are actually running (inserted the right way)? You may be hearing the Caiman in passive mode otherwise. Try reinserting the LM4562 one at a time and testing both line and headphone outputs for gain changes.

I'm Bernie.

I put them in with the dot (indentation) on the chip in the same orientation as those I replaced. I'll do as you say and check tonight. One of the chips may be faulty.

Cheers.
    Bernie.

I'm Bernie.

Checked the opamps and found one of the legs didn't go in properly. Damn my failing eyesight. All is OK now and doing some listening to see if I like the new opamps.

Thanks MartinT.
    Bernie.

MartinT Guest

Glad that's sorted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960