+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best quality pre 1974 recording other than.Mercury label

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Loads of jazz recordings from the 50's are really good, irrespective of modern playback source - i.e. they've transferred well to digital and sound better than ever!

I agree about the KC 'larks Tongues' album and would add 'Lizard' to the list too. I also always thought 'Trilogy' by ELP was a good one as well from that era.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

Default Venues look to be a strong indicator of quality recordings

Hi
    It looks like quite a few, but not all of the good sounding recordings from this era came from Columbia's 30th St studio.
    from what I read it was nicknamed "the Church" and had a 100 ft ceiling, and was admired for its good sound
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Street_Studio

America has though a dreadful history of letting such venues either be demolished or fall into disrepair, the Ricardo Muti performance of Pictures at an exhibition
    although 1978 gives a good record of the venue being why the recording was/is so good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...(Philadelphia)

.. but nice to see that electric lady studios is still going, Eddie Kramer on the right, Jimi Hendrix engineer Hendrix-At-Electric-Lady.jpg

I'm Steve.

I'll admit that I do not listen to a lot of classical and I do seem to prefer violin / orchestral if I do.

two releases that always impress me with their recording are:

Decca SXL 2313 (1962) Lanchbery: La Fille Ma Garde. Guaranteed to make smile.

Decca SXL 6379 (1969) Mehta: Also Sprach Zarathustra. Guaranteed to raise the hairs on the back of my neck.

I don't subscribe to the theory that if it's on such & such, and pressed by such & such then it has to be good. We've all heard the turkeys from time to time.

for King Crimson's Lizard as well.
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Louis Armstrong Satchmo plays King Oliver or Ellington Big 4 - both stunning examples of pure analogue magic. Most digital recordings although crystal clear, sound thin and washed out compared to these.
    Is that in vinyl, or digital remastering?

I have this Jazz collection on CD - https://play.spotify.com/user/brenda...kZza14GjNjipXG
    Long Gone (from Bowling Green) - with Louis A is really good - as is also the rehearsal track. I assume they were analogue recordings.

The streaming versions are rubbish compared to the CDs.
    Dave

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Is that in vinyl, or digital remastering?

I have this Jazz collection on CD - https://play.spotify.com/user/brenda...kZza14GjNjipXG
    Long Gone (from Bowling Green) - with Louis A is really good - as is also the rehearsal track. I assume they were analogue recordings.

The streaming versions are rubbish compared to the CDs.
    Vinyl.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12