+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Musings on Class D .... is it actually 'there' now? Should we all be using it?

I'm Jez.

It's as relevant as any other load as many speakers can dip that low...
    Class D does not have ant specific issue with low load impedances....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I would have liked to be able to have a listen to these, but nothing in the UK. Seems like an audio engineer with an RF background is the right sort to work with class D. http://ar-t.co/VELLUTO_CIRCUIT_DESCRIPTION.html
    This IS a Gloucestershire, UK based company. They assemble the OEM version of the nCore 500modules (as opposed to the DIY nCore 400) with some refinements. These are not your average class D amp and I would love to know from someone who actually has one if it is as good as they say. Maybe you could have a listen at their premises. And BTW, they can drive 2 ohm speakers http://www.hypex.nl/technology/ncore.html @ 1200W
    Last edited by r100; 29-12-2016 at 00:00.

I'm Grant.

my class d(at least I think they are lol) can handle my under 3 ohm speakers fine. Never had any problems when they were being run by it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my class d(at least I think they are lol) can handle my under 3 ohm speakers fine. Never had any problems when they were being run by it.
    Size of heatsinks may give a clue to whether they are Class D or not. Perhaps some photos?

When I got my Class D TPA3116, it was hard to take in that the tiny heatsink was suitable for a 50W / channel amp, but it is. These amps are not that far short of 100% efficient.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Size of heatsinks may give a clue to whether they are Class D or not. Perhaps some photos?

When I got my Class D TPA3116, it was hard to take in that the tiny heatsink was suitable for a 50W / channel amp, but it is. These amps are not that far short of 100% efficient.
    Not opened one yet. Not sure how actually lol. Ive got a faulty one so must get round to it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

In reply to "r100" I do not yet own the Nordacoustics nc500 amplifiers but I would like to! Colin North is a fellow IPL speaker builder and when I discovered that he was starting to build Hypex modules I had to go and have a listen for myself since I have been interested in the concept of the Hypex DIY kit for many years.
    I went for an audition last year and have to say that I was mightily impressed with what he was doing and how good the amps sounded. I thought that the bass "grip" was exceptionably tight and as soon as I sell enough speakers I will be getting a Dual Mono SE version for myself.

Don't confuse these amps with the DIY modules that can be bought from Hypex. The OEM versions that Colin uses are different inasmuch as they utilise a buffer board with an OP amp which can easily be changed to allow a degree of choice as to how the amp sounds. At the moment he is using Sparkos or Sonic Imagery which make the amps much more "musical". I believe that Colin's amps offer fantastic value for money and if you go ahead and buy one I doubt that you would be disappointed!

I'm rupert.

Very interesting ! Actually, I was quite surprised and heartened to learn that IPL was involved in this venture... their speakers are renowned and liked, so I deduct that the amps they put together at Nord are of equal quality. <thumbs-up icon here>

I'm Richard.

Please don't misunderstand me. IPL has nothing to do with Nordacoustics other than to say that Colin buys the kits from Ivan and sells a finished speaker, the same as me. I know that Ivan is impressed with the Nord amps (he mentions them on his website) but has no other connection. The common thread between IPL and Nordacoustics is that both produce products which are towards the upper end of the spectrum for a very reasonable cost!

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Please don't misunderstand me. IPL has nothing to do with Nordacoustics other than to say that Colin buys the kits from Ivan and sells a finished speaker, the same as me. I know that Ivan is impressed with the Nord amps (he mentions them on his website) but has no other connection. The common thread between IPL and Nordacoustics is that both produce products which are towards the upper end of the spectrum for a very reasonable cost!
    not familiar with the ins and outs but there does seem to be some love between the two companies ... see http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/speakers which is positive, me thinks

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Fair point.
    I did a bit of research, looks like a cut and paste from B&O Icepower 250 specs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast