+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery stereo valve amp and pre...

I'm Nial.

Default Mystery stereo valve amp and pre...

Anyone any idea on identity?
    Car boot find...
    Thanks!

I'm Jez.

Possibly home made or bodged from defunct commercial chassis.... Single ended, probably EL84 output valves and about 3-4 WPC. Quite likely to be Mullard "3Watt Amplifier" design and EF86 used at input. Decent Parmeko transformers. Will need rebuild to be usable, I can see several capacitors that will be dud by now = sell on again at next booty!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Clark.

Last edited by BTH K10A; 17-07-2016 at 12:18.

I'm Alan.

As above.
    Dulci maybe? Go on spill the beans, how much did it cost you?

Always on he lookout for something like this
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Nial.

I don't think its home made - the front panel on the Pre is not within those parameters! There's an umbilical like a Leak which you can see in one pic - all very professional. My mate (who is up your way Jez) said he thought just possibly a kit? He's quite knowledgeable about old gear, designs and makes amps, and has, or has had a lot of obscure stuff, but he had no idea either.
    Dulci is an interesting suggestion....thanks.

I got the Pre and Power, a Leak Varislope Pre missing some panels and a kit valve tuner (can't remember make - mono) for £20, all missing their valves though. One of those stalls which is just lines of boxes of junk, prob from skips. I once got a pair of Stax earphones on a similar stall...but that's another story.

I'm Jez.

£20 is just about ok for the transformers.... The mains transformer could be useful for a valve pre. There was indeed a lot of kit amps on offer at this time to Mullard (and other) designs and also many magazine articles on making them, but there were also many "second league" manufacturers pretty much unheard of nowadays making such amps and selling them through the likes of "Practical Wireless".

The power amp may just be worth rebuilding if you have some very sensitive speakers to use it with but unless you DIY it would cost more than its resale value to do so. It will probably sound pretty good at low volumes as in spite of being single ended it will have a lot of negative feedback.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

What is the name under the treble knob? Can't read it all because of the angle of the photograph.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

I would say it doesn't matter what make it is.... as I said so many were offering both kits and ready made examples of Mullard designs as to make it irrelevant. Better ones would claim things like "Parmeko/Gardners/Elstone transformers used in accordance with Mullard specs"

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    As above.
    Dulci maybe? Go on spill the beans, how much did it cost you?

Always on he lookout for something like this
    Dulci came to my mind too.
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

Whilst it's irrelevant..... I have I believe identified them as kit amplifiers made to Mullard designs by Stern Radio Ltd around 1962.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast