+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery stereo valve amp and pre...

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Whilst it's irrelevant..... I have I believe identified them as kit amplifiers made to Mullard designs by Stern Radio Ltd around 1962.
    Excellent, I remember Stern, then presumably later Stern-Clyne
    Spendorman

I'm Nial.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What is the name under the treble knob? Can't read it all because of the angle of the photograph.
    Its "Dual Stereo"

Stern...excellent...any Pics anywhere, Jez?

Thanks all!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    Its "Dual Stereo"

Stern...excellent...any Pics anywhere, Jez?

Thanks all!
    From an ad in a 1962 Practical Wireless. Pics are tiny, blurry and B&W but it appears to be the same as the control layout and positions of the 1/4" jacks on the front panel are the same. The power amp is as I guessed and the pre is two of the Mullard "Two valve pre amp" design, for stereo. if correct it would have had 2X EF86 per channel.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Clark.

Last edited by BTH K10A; 17-07-2016 at 12:17.

I'm Nial.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    It would be a Stern Radio Ltd Dual 3 - 3 stereo amplifier then, with the 4 valve dual channel control unit which should contain 4 EF86 valves.

Both Mullard circuit designs

The input sensitivities are:
    Aux 330mV
    Mic 3mV
    Pickup 5-15mV &70-220mV
    Tape 4mV
    Radio 330nV

Amp is obviously 3 Watts per channel with the single ended EL84
    Frequency Response is 35 to 30kHz
    Absolutely without a doubt. Just googled, and although the exact ringer for the power amp isn't there, the mono version is same gold chassis and same trafos with the same voltage selector on top. Well, now I know - thanks very much to everyone. If and when I get it going - probably the power rather than the pre - I'll report back. Cheers again guys!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Design and construction of the Mullard 3-3 amplifier: http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-003h.htm.

The 3-3 was a mediocre-sounding circuit and nowhere near as good as the later 5-10 and 5-20 designs.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    If and when I get it going.....
    When I rebuilt the Dulci into a stereo single ended amp I used the following driver stage circuit, with very good results as Martin will confirm.

Use a medium mu valve such as the ECC81 and don't forget the heater bias (2 resistors at the right).

Just a suggestion

I'm Clark.

Last edited by BTH K10A; 17-07-2016 at 12:17.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    When I rebuilt the Dulci into a stereo single ended amp I used the following driver stage circuit, with very good results as Martin will confirm.

[
    I do confirm. One of the most beautiful sounding amplifiers I have ever heard. A bit limited on power which is the only reason it is not my daily driver (big room) but that is the nature of the beast.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12